Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2012, 06:05 AM   #561 
Gizmothefreaky

They are not the strongest of swimmers, so no strong currents. I am not sure they would e able to digest the mealworms, and most illnesses that frogs tend to get, you won't know until it is too late... The problem with these guys is that they are very stoic in the face of illness and injury, because if you show that you are weak in the wild, you get eaten. I would just try to keep an eye out for those three, as they are the most common and the easiest to spot, and keep meds on hand.

I cannot say enough how good melafix is for fish other than bettas, I have a 20 gallon that I am treating right now, it is a community, and was also home to a five girl sorority... Well all give girls just went belly up for seemingly no reason at all last night, and now some of the other inhabitants are doing the same... My specs are great, and I do frequent water changes, but they are still just... Rolling over on me left and right. So I am dosing the tank with melafix, and hoping that works... :/ I have terrible luck with sororities... I've had three in the last year, all of which have ended in total loss of all females due to some illness... *sigh* I give up on sororities, seriously...
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:19 AM   #562 
SpookyTooth

I'm so sorry Gizmo! That's awful... I remember when that happened with my shrimp I was utterly devastated - but I figured out what happened, I can't imagine how you must feel.

I wish I could offer some form of advice or idea as to what happened but I've never dealt with a sorority and know nothing of their complexities.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #563 
Chesh

Pixie - Welcome to the ADF world! Putting them in their own tank will really be best, good decision! I know you'll come to love these little guys- we're all huge fans (obviously!) good luck with your newbies!!!

Giz- I second Spooks on this one, Giz - I'm sorry! You have been having a rough time over there. Betta can be so tricky, because they come to us in such horrible shape from the fish store. . . with all of the fuss PETA makes over everything, even getting ADF banned in some areas, I really wish they'd focus ALL of their power on forcing pet stores to keep Betta properly in filtered conditions. . . *hugs*
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #564 
Pixielator

Gizmo - Thanks so much for the information. I'm really sorry about your community tank. :/

Chesherca - Thanks. :) I already like these guys a lot, but I'm sure once I get to know their personalities better I'll like them even more.
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #565 
Chesh

:) I have no doubt that this will be the case for you, as it was for all of us, lol!!! Keep us posted on how they do, and good luck to you!
Old 08-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #566 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I don't know if I like Atilla's personality very much.....
xD
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #567 
Chesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I don't know if I like Atilla's personality very much.....
xD
Posted via Mobile Device
BWAHAHAHA!!! SHE doesn't count. She's, like, half ADF and half demon . . .
Old 08-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #568 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yes, half demon.. she also rushes across from the other side of the tank as soon as I drop pellets in... Blind my butt.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #569 
Chesh

ROFL!!! She's a genetically engineered SUPER FROG! It will never cease to amaze me how different everyone's experiences are with any given animal. . .
Old 08-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #570 
LittleWatty

(posting here because I know this place gets views, and I know there's an expert on ADFs around here somewhere!)
I bought two ADFs yesterday. One looks really healthy, and is eating (I've seen him do it). The other... doesn't look so great. He's really sickly skinny, I can pretty much see right through him, and I haven't seen him eat. I've got him in a betta cup with some food, and I'm doing periodic water changes throughout the day, just to keep any nitrogen levels down (both from frog and decaying food). Any suggestions on how to be sure he eats, and to fatten him up?
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote