Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #51 
Chesh

Thank you! I'm planning on switching to sand once my tank is a bit more established. In the meantime, I'll give him the froggy pellets and see if I can convince him that they ARE food! It's hard to tell if he's even FINDING them, as they kind of get lost in the gravel. I may have to go out and find some frozen bloodworms, just so I know the poor little guy is actually eating something. Once again, I'm bummed out that the pet store people have given me misinformation. *sigh* Also going to get that filter covered in pantyhose, lol, it sounds so silly! So far, he's doing very well and seems happy. I've added more plants to the back of his tank for him to hang out under, and I *think* he may have shed for the first time when he switched to his bigger tank. :) How fun!

Thanks again for all of your great information - I'm sure I'll come up with more questions for you as I still have a LOT to learn!

Okay! Lets see if i can do this in short answers.... lol I'm on my phone.

Sand is best, but typical gravel is good too, as long as the bits are roundly bigger than his head. The larger river rock can shift and trap little legs, so that is no good.

Pantyhose is a feat filter cover, make sure it is new, and rinse very well in HOT water before use.

Frog pellets like you have is a good main food, brine shrimp actually have very little nutritional value, i prefer frozen bloodworms, and those can be fed daily. They even cost about the sane.

Hope i got all the questions, live talking about these guys, come back again soon!! :3 __________________
FRATERNITIES-------
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #52 
Chesh

Got another one for you, oh frog guru!

My ADF is currently housed with a couple of Mollies. They've pretty much ignored him for the most part, but today I noticed the male 'nipping' at him a couple of times. Speckles the Frog just darted off and went about his business, didn't seem to mind very much. I know now that I SHOULD have 2-3 females for every male Molly in the tank, but the pet shop didn't inform me of this at the time, and I accidentally ended up with a couple. I'm not sure if the male is being aggressive, or just mistaking the frog's speckles for food. Do you know anything about this combination of animals? I'm keeping a close eye on it, so far the frog seems perfectly content, he does his zen thing, hangs out around the plants, and comes out in the open when he feels like it - doesn't seem too stressed out about it, but if it's a potential problem, I want to be aware so that I can prepare a new space for the frog if he should need it... advice?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:42 AM   #53 
Gizmothefreaky

First things first, mollies are happier in brackish water, but to cut down on aggression, i would add more females if you decide to keep them.

I have a frog right now that is missing a toe from an aggressive platy. ^^;
Just give the frog more hiding places, he should be fine.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #54 
Chesh

Awww! Poor little guy is missing his toe! :(
I DO know that I need to get at least one, if not two more females, but I started this adventure not even knowing about cycling tanks, so until that process is finished, I don't want to add anything else. That's the reason why I'm being so OCD about everything (in case you wondered). I'm trying to backpedal and make sure all of my underwater friends are going to make it through. I've also read up on Mollies, and I really wish I had known about their water quality needs BEFORE I got them, but I don't have a tank big enough to rehome anyone (and don't have room for more than 1, unless I have to move ADF to a little critter keeper to keep him safe) He's got a lot of living plants in there, though, plus his house - hopefully he'll be fine! I don't want any missing little tiny toes! Thanks again!

Last edited by Chesh; 02-21-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #55 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
LOL! Okay... I called and Petsmart ONLY carries the dwarfs *whew* Your first post said:

"In America and Canada most large chain shops are selling these frogs..."

You should maybe change that for poor people like me who wander the internet far past their bedtimes and get freaked out! *giggle* I feel better now that he has less of a chance of being sick! Thanks for your speedy reply!
Lucky...I've been cycling one of my 5 gallon tanks for a while now. Petco finally has some ADF in stock and I also see albino ACF a few tanks over. Just went I tought I could get two little ADFs of my own I have to worry even more about them having a fungus infection because Petco does sell both ADF and ACF.

They may have been in seperate tanks, but if both types of frogs came from the same breeder I may still be out of luck. If the PetSmart near my job sells both as well, I may have to admit defeat. T_T
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:57 PM   #56 
Chesh

Oh man! That is so sad!!! :( Do you have any local fish shops near you? I visited one earlier today and they had SO many ADF's there, it was unreal - and not one ACF. They even had cute little albino ones - and they had males and females separated. I wish I had shopped here first, as I have no idea what gender my little froggy is! Good luck on your search - I hope you find one, they're really endearing little guys!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #57 
Chesh

I have another question for my froggy guru (who is probably getting quite tired of me by now!) I've decided to put sand in the bottom of my tank, but the husband insists on BLACK sand. . . doing some research, I've read that the Tahitian Moon Sand is too sharp for ADFs? Is this true? If so, can you recommend any other types of sand that come in black that would be better? Husband also wants Kuhli Loaches at some point, and they like to Burrow, too, so I have to make sure on this one :) Thanks a million for sharing so much of your your sage-like wisdom!
Old 02-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #58 
Gizmothefreaky

Petco sells a good black sand that i would feel safe with. And i keep kuhlis as well, they make fun tank mates. Just gotta make sure they are all eating. :)
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #59 
Chesh

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowySurface View Post
Lucky...I've been cycling one of my 5 gallon tanks for a while now. Petco finally has some ADF in stock and I also see albino ACF a few tanks over. Just went I tought I could get two little ADFs of my own I have to worry even more about them having a fungus infection because Petco does sell both ADF and ACF.

They may have been in seperate tanks, but if both types of frogs came from the same breeder I may still be out of luck. If the PetSmart near my job sells both as well, I may have to admit defeat. T_T

Wondering if you had any luck finding an ADF at PetSmart? I really hope you did :)
Old 02-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #60 
SnowySurface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
Oh man! That is so sad!!! :( Do you have any local fish shops near you? I visited one earlier today and they had SO many ADF's there, it was unreal - and not one ACF. They even had cute little albino ones - and they had males and females separated. I wish I had shopped here first, as I have no idea what gender my little froggy is! Good luck on your search - I hope you find one, they're really endearing little guys!
I thought only ACF could be albinos. When I went to Petco I saw ADF in one tank and Albino ACF in another tank. If the Albino frogs were already 2 inches in length then the local pet store does have ACF and ADF at the same time.

I haven't had time to look for ADF since my last post. My laptop battery died on me and it cost $111 to replace. I'm goin to be low on funds for the next 2 weeks. I'm also not done cycling my tank. I think I have another 2 weeks to go before my cycle is complete, so it all balances out. :)

Last edited by SnowySurface; 02-24-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Responding to a post that just appeared.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote