Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #601 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Atilla likes food. End of story.
Uhh, The Hun also doesn't have much problem. But my community is extremely placid and they are the most aggressive things in my tank.. When you look at, say betta or tetra, that's when the problems begin.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #602 
Chesh

Tetra? REALLY???! I didn't have a problem with the Tetra in with my frogs. Betta, yeah - guppies and mollies - FORGET it, but TETRA!? They seem so sweet! Species-only all the way for me. . . of course. . . if my JellyBeans have a problem, they'll be heading in with the froggies! *crossed fingers* for that one to go over well!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #603 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I don't know, your tetra look like sweeties, but I know most tetra have a vicious side to them.. My hatchet fish are in the same family but they just sit still and look clueless all day. Love the little guys though. "Floating plants are a must." They all stay in the one part of the tank with no floating plants. xD
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #604 
Chesh

True, true. . . there is quite a broad range covered in the Tetra family, so I'm sure that, like any fishy, these things will vary. My tiny little 'uns ARE super sweet, but. . .I've never had them in a community, so I don't *REALLY* know. I imagine that with a MAX SIZE of 1.2 inches. . . they kind of exist to feed other, larger, fish - how much aggression can be packed into a frame that TEENSY?! Plus, being wild-caught, they still more or less refuse to eat food that's on the substrate - though there are a few who have gotten bolder and have been caught poking around for leftovers. This makes me happy (for now) as it means less to clean up, but. . . well, hopefully they WON'T end up with my froggies, and everything will be fine :)

Dontcha just LOVE it when the 'rules' given for a fish are so totally wrong when you bring them home? Floating plants. . . *giggle* in my experience, EVERY rule is totally false when applied to ANY of the wet pets I keep! Am I doing something wrong? I don't get it!

As long as they're happy and healthy, they can be rule-breakers, too, I suppose. . .
Old 08-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #605 
LittleWatty

Yeah, I've thought about the Talapia filets. Not only can I enjoy them, but so can the frogs! lol I'm really hoping to train Tintri to like the cup, so that I can keep him in there for an hour or more (whatever it takes for the frogs to finish their food) when it comes to it. He tolerates it better than the others, but still doesn't like it. Good thing is, his bloat went down overnight. I'm still not feeding him today though, just so he can really clear out his system.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #606 
Pixielator

Is their poop supposed to float? And what color should it be?
Pixielator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #607 
LittleWatty

Honestly, I couldn't tell you Pixielator. I tried looking up some info on it, but came up empty :( Sorry I couldn't help. Hopefully someone with far more experience with these cuties can give you an answer.

I did want to post a little mini update on my two frogs, though. Skinny is not so skinny anymore! :D It could be he's still full from this morning's feast, but his body is filling out, and he doesn't look like skin and bones anymore. I can always tell if its Skinny vs. Tubby (yeah... temp names, but they work for now!) because Skinny has those really opaque kneecaps, where as Tubby doesn't.
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #608 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'm glad your frog is feeling better, Watty.

I have no idea about their poop, my tank is so densely planted and I've never seen them actually pooping. I think Jes has seen frog poop, like once, ahahah, maybe she has an idea.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #609 
Chesh

Frog poop, lol. . .

Yeah, frog poop seems to be less like fish poop and more like, well, frog poo! It can float, or not, but more or less seems to dissolve into the water itself, so from what *I* have seen (or not seen) it's more about water changes and less about getting the actual detritus out, like it is for fish.

SKINNY IS LOOKING GOOOOOD! If you have a male and a female, then she will always be bigger, so don't worry about that. As long as he's eating and plumping up a bit,I'm sure all is well. And I don't know about the kneecaps, I was concerned about my little male as he also had them when I brought him home. Maybe it's a male thing, or has something to do with age? Or maybe it was from being kept on gravel at the fish shop - I'm not sure. My little Freckle's knees are still a *bit* on the pale side, but have gotten WAY better since I brought him home. I'm betting your Skinny's knees will darken up too, as he grows up and has a few skin sheds :)
Old 08-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #610 
LittleWatty

Since I've given an update on Skinny, I'd figure I'd also give one on Tubby, who I'm beginning to think is female!

Also, once I get these two fattened up a bit, I'm not sure how often I should feed them. Right now, I'm giving them two decent sized meals a day. One in the morning, then one at night. Bloodworms mixed with Frog & Tadpole pellets (though they don't seem to like the pellets much). Should I cut it back to one meal a day, once they reach a decent size, or keep up with the two? I read somewhere that they should be fed once every FEW days, but that didn't sound right!
Attached Images