Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #641 
Chesh

. . . aaaaaaaand other such nonsense ;)
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #642 
Gizmothefreaky

Lol hey, as long as everyone is enjoying the conversation, I don't care what we talk about. XD
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #643 
katydidmischief

I'm slowly working my way through all the posts in this thread so please forgive me if I ask a question that's already been asked/been asked a bunch of times before.

I bought an ADF, Toothless, for my 5.5 gallon tank. He's been doing well--I'm cupping him for feedings right now and he's getting aquatic frog pellets--but I'd like to start feeding him frozen bloodworms. I have no experience with live or frozen foods, since I've always given pellets, flakes, or freeze dried. Is it best to thaw the block in the fridge overnight or out on a counter?

I've got two...three places for Toothless to hide, plus several plants. Should I add more of either hideaways or plants?
Attached Images

katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #644 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I grab some tank water and throw the bloodworms in that. You'll probably only need a teeny tiny amount for one frog.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #645 
LittleWatty

For the frozen foods, I would not suggest leaving them sit out for long, or putting them in the fridge! They thaw out really quick. When I feed my frogs frozen bloodworms, I actually use tweezers to pull the little "ice cube" apart, then put the appropriate size meal in a cup of the tank's water. Once its separated (shouldn't be long, less than a minute usually), I use a turkey baster to drop it to the bottom of the tank quickly. Since you've been cupping Toothless for his/her/its feedings, you could probably just drop in small amounts at a time, adding a tiny bit more every time some is eaten, until he's eaten maybe the amount of the size of a pea.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #646 
Chesh

The others have covered the defrosting - but I will add that you shouldn't put the 'water' in the tank that came with the frozen cubes. . . all it does is add yuck to the tank that the frog can't eat, and there is a slight possibility that there could be some bacteria in the water from the cube that could cause harm. I actually have a special knife that I use for frozen foods, and cut the cube in the amount that I need. I put the rest of it back into the freezer, and let the rest defrost in an old teastrainer on a papertowel on the countertop. It only takes a minute, and the water is removed from the food :)

I'd say your little one is fine with hiding spots, but would really appreciate more planting. You might want to consider getting rid of one of the hidey holes, and adding a decent clump of plants there instead. I wouldn't be surprised if you find he prefers the plants to the pots (they're really cute, though!) My frogs have a house, and they still use it, but they spend most of their time in the plants :)
Old 08-30-2012, 04:24 AM   #647 
katydidmischief

Thank you! I really appreciate the quick answers--it really helped clear up my newbie confusion on the frozen--and I will definitely be adding some plants for him. I'll see how I can shift things a little to add some of the ones I've got in storage.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #648 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Jeez you guys really expanded on my two sentence answer.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #649 
Chesh

*giggle* You KNOW I'm chatty! ;)
Old 09-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #650 
katydidmischief

Attached is their updated tank with more plants, though Toothless really loves hanging out in that coral.

But I was wondering how everyone feels about ADFs and Melafix? Michael's fins have gotten tears in them and ragged at the edges, and have gotten worse so after checking everything for rough edges, I tried clean water and then adding a little salt (1/4 tsp for 5.5gal) but it didn't help. I'd like to treat the tank with Michael so should I take the ADFs out or will it not affect them?
Attached Images