Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #651 
LittleWatty

Well, first off, the salt amount might not have been enough. 1/4 tsp in 5.5 gallons is a very small amount. Most people do 1/2tsp per gallon. Of course, most people don't have ADFs in their tank too. I would recommend sticking with the salt treatment, as Melafix can be dangerous to bettas if not careful. If you've got an extra tank lying around, I'd put your betta in there, and dose it to 1/2tsp per gallon. Keep it up for no more than 10 days. If its not better by then, you might consider other treatments. But, not until then. There's also the fact that Michael might be a tail biter.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #652 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'd wait for Giz's opinion on the medicine with the frog.
Amphibians are very different from fish.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #653 
Gizmothefreaky

And I am here!!!

I have used melafix with frogs, but only because everyone in the tank was getting sick (mine are in a community tank), so I wouldn't treat Toothless (lol I have an Axolotl named Toothless... She's a girl... XD ) unless he is showing signs of illness as well. Just be careful with medicating what isn't sick. :)
Best thing for finrot is clean warm water I have found. Only when it is super advanced should you use medication.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #654 
Chesh

Thanks for the advice, Gizzy! I've thus far been lucky enough not to have treat a tank with a frog inside - hoping I never will have to!

Katydid, I hope your betta heals up soon, I agree with Giz, in most cases clean water, time, and mother nature can heal. . . and it really is best to ONLY treat the fish/frog/creature who is having the issue when at all possible. Even the most gentle of remedies cause stress on the wet pets - even if it's something safe for them to be exposed to, if they don't NEED to be, avoid it at all costs.

I hope your little betta feels better soon :( Sick fishies are never any fun. . .
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #655 
katydidmischief

Thank you again, everyone. I really was wavering on whether or not to just give Michael a little more time and another water change. I'll definitely hold off on the melafix, do a change in the morning, and monitor. Thank you! :D
katydidmischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #656 
blue moon

so i just got 2 ADF and a ghost shrimp and a snail and i don't know if its the first day or something but there not eating what is the best way for them 2 it i just put a bowl with there food in it and there not going in ??? im feeding them aquatic frog and tadpole food anything else i can give them or another way i can feed them ??
blue moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #657 
Gizmothefreaky

Calm down and breathe... First thing is tank conditions, are you keeping them correctly? Second, it's only the first day, they may already have eaten at the store, so just relax. You obviously haven't quarantined anyone, so we can forget that... If no one eats in the next week I would be worried... So just read through this thread, and make sure that you are doing everything correctly.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #658 
Chesh

Hello and welcome to Frogville!

Gizmo is right, it often will take a day or two for the froggies to settle in and feel comfortable enough in their new surroundings to eat. . .I'm not sure exactly what you meant by 'aquatic frog and tadpole food.' but oftentimes frogs won't take the pellets that are made/sold for them - some do and some don't - it might depend on what they're used to. None of mine ever have Do you know what they were eating at the pet shop? Most frogs can't resist a bit of defrosted bloodworm, so if they continue to refuse food for the next day or two, perhaps you can give that a try? Stay away from the freeze-dried stuff, you want the ones that are wet-frozen, almost every fish shop has a freezer somewhere and sells them. They aren't that expensive, and a packet will last you for ages.

Otherwise, what size tank are they in, and is it cycled? Do you have a water testing kit? If so, can you give us your parameters?

I don't know anything about shrimp, so I can't help you there, but like Giz said - there is so much info to be found if you go through this thread, so if you haven't yet, go through and read through the millions of pages here - you'll learn tons about how to properly care for your new little friends!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #659 
LittleWatty

I have some experience with the shrimp, as I've purchased over 50 in the past few months. If your frogs are in with a betta, be warned that the bettas tend to eat the food for the frogs before they do - especially if you go the frozen bloodworm route. I have that problem and have to cup my fish before I feed my frogs. Secondly, about the shrimp, they can get aggressive when it comes to food. Usually its only with each other, but if they get gutsy enough, they'll steal food from your frogs and even your betta. I usually don't worry too much about shrimp, since they're almost a dime a dozen. If you have real driftwood in the tank, they'll usually get any food they need by picking at it. There's always a little bit of algae growth on wood, and that's why I like it for shrimp/oto/pleco/corie tanks. I will warn you that you'll probably lose most of them within the first week, just because they're so poorly taken care of. Your fish also might eat them. Sonas and Féileacán both ate their shrimp within a couple days of putting them in there. It happens.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #660 
cjz96

Hi, I have a random question that has probably already been answered in here before:
How would you properly inroduce an ADF to a betta? I have QT my new ADF for about two months just to be safe. My betta has been a loner for his whole life while with me. I'm just scared they'll start ripping eachother apart.
Thanks!
cjz96 is offline   Reply With Quote