Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #61 
Chesh

I'm new at this, but let me tell you some of what I've learned already. . .

I've seen albino ACF AND albino ADF! If the frogs are already 2 inches in length, they probably WERE ACF, as ADF are usually smaller than that (1.5 inches, though you might see a larger female crack the two inch mark, from what I've read it's not the norm) MINE is even smaller, (but already growing) I guess h/she is still young. You can tell the difference between a CLAWED and a DWARF by looking at their 'hands' The clawed frogs don't have webbing between their 'fingers,' while the dwarfs have webbing on both their 'hands' AND their 'feet' Also the clawed frogs have a claw on their foot!

From what I've read elsewhere, PetCO does stock both. But around HERE petSMART only has the dwarves. They're a huge chain, so my assumption would be that they all have more or less the same stock, so when you build your funds back up, give them a try. You could always save yourself the trip and call them, too!

Sucks about your laptop. . . but to give you an idea of what you'll spend if you go to PetSMART (I'm sure prices vary by area, but just to give you an idea). my frog cost only $2.99, the pellets also cost $2.99. I have a hard time figuring out if my frog is eating the pellets (they blend in with the gravel, and he's in there with fish), so I don't try to feed them to him very often. This wouldn't be so much of an issue if you have ONLY a frog to feed. If he was getting them every day or every other day, he requires so little to sustain that this small jar would last for months.

The frozen bloodworms cost around $4 for a frozen packet of 30 little 'cubes' The frog only gets a half of a cube (he probably only NEEDS a quarter of one for the size he is, but again, I have other fish to deal with who steal from him, so I add extra for them) Still $4 for 2 months + of food isn't really a huge expense! I also got frozen brineshrimp (which was recommended by Petsmart employee, but not nearly as nutritious for the frog according to Gizmo the Guru) also for $4. It may not be necessary, but I'm still giving him those from time to time. He really likes both the shrimp AND the bloodworms.

So, basically, since you already have a tank, you could really get the frog AND enough food for a couple of months for only around $7-$10 dollars!

I hope that helped you out! You'll have to update when you do finally get your little buddy!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #62 
Gizmothefreaky

I have actually had albino adf in the past, so they do come in albino, though they are fairly new.

If it is just your frog in the tank, i say go ahead and get it, but wait three months to add anything else, so as to make sure he/ she isn't sick.

When feeding pellets, i actually like to wait until the frog is out in the open and drop them right on their head. Lol!

Also, with those jars of pellets, i have had the same jar for almost a year, and only just now am running out, through several frogs, and also feeding them to my loaches and shrimp. So it will last forever. XD

Last edited by Gizmothefreaky; 02-24-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #63 
SnowySurface

Thanks. I still have to wait for my cycle to be complete before I add ADF since they are sensitive to ammonia spikes. For now I'm focusing on my laptop. I've looked up videos on youtube and it seems like I can either clean the fan as good as new or replace it for $50. I'm hoping I can save myself $50 by cleaning the fan so the money can go towards my pet fund. XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #64 
Gizmothefreaky

Ha ha, yeah. XD good luck with your computer!
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #65 
Chesh

Hello again! Just popping in for a quick update, and an equally quick question! So far so good! Little Speckles is growing well, and eating like a champ. He's even started eating right out of my fingers - and I wasn't trying to get him to. You can imagine how excited I was, lol! Here's a couple of decent shots I got of him last night. . . his color is a bit off, he's a kind of weird greyish-brownish-purplish - super cute!

So, as you know, I got into this with no clue about aquariums or fish except what the pet shop told me (which was wrong), so my tank has been cycling since I set it up, and my poor creatures have been enduring it very well (doing lots and LOTS of water changes to keep it that way!) The worst bit of the first part of the cycle has passed, and I've been advised to not feed the fish for 3 days to allow the cycle to complete (and not add any extra ammonia while this happens)

I know I can skip a feeding and go every other day, but will little Speckles be okay if I skip feeding for three days straight? He's been eating quite well thus far, and is far from starving at this point. I just want to double-check before I do something that might hurt him It's going to be really tough not to feed him - he comes to the glass when he sees my face now. I swear he's begging for a handout!

Thanks again for your advice! It always makes me feel better to learn from someone who knows first-hand!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #66 
Chesh

** Sorry, I'm only to skip TWO days. Today and tomorrow. . . question still stands, though. I won't skip if it'll cause him harm. Thanks again!
Old 02-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #67 
Chesh

I know, I KNOW! I'm sorry. . . more questions, and you're the only one who has any answers! Thanks for your patience!
*I checked Petco, and they sell the Tahitian Moon Sand, which is kind of sparkly black, and I've read can be too abrasive. Have you used this with your frogs?
*Do you know of any good books on the care of ADF's specifically? I've been searching, and can't seem to find one.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #68 
SnowySurface

I use Tahitian sand in my tanks now. So far I haven't noticed it being abbrasive at all. I use my own hands to stir it up to prevent anerobic spots and it feels soft to me. I'm still cycling so I don't have any frogs in my tank yet, but I'm nt worried about it. :)

I too have been looking for books. I have a book about betta fish and I found two magazines about bunnies but for the life of me I can't find anything good on ADFs. All of my frog info is from here and a random site. http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/id13.html

Now onto the cycle question.

The good bacteria needs ammonia as a food source. Starving the tank of ammonia during the stage when the nitrATEs need the most nitrITEs as possible in order to feed and multiple is backwards. You want a constant source of ammonia during every stage of the cycle. When the ammonia stays are 0ppm even when more ammonia is added, then your cycle is complete.

Do not remove your ammonia source in any way unless you want to deplete your nitrITEs and inadvertantly starve your nitrATEs and slow down the time it takes for the cycle to complete. Now, you don't want to let the tank get dirty for the sake of the frogs health. But, you don't want the tank to be too clean or the bacteria will either die off completely or decrease in numbers. Whoever suggested fasting your frogs doesn't realize the ammonia your frogs give off is at the heart of the cycle at every step and the cycle isn't complete until the bacteria can keep the ammonia levels at 0ppm under normal condictions.

Keep doing what you are doing and you'll be fine. Speckles looks cute in the picture. :3
Old 02-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #69 
Chesh

I'm sorry, no. . . I've been testing my water constantly, and doing water changes every day throughout this process. . .The bacteria are there now in sufficent levels to enable the ammonia test to drop to zero - but I'm still getting low readings of ammonia and nitrIte levels finally, and the nitrAtes are spiking. I want the ammonia to level out at zero, so he wants me not to introduce any food so that there is less ammonia being produced for 2 days to enable the nitrAtes to 'take hold' and drop the ammonia and nitrItes down to zero. After 2 days with no food/water changes, we'll see were we are, and go back to normal. He really DOES know what he's talking about, I trust him implicitly. It's also a community tank, with several fish (two being mollies, who are sometimes considered 'dirtier' then some) and only one frog.

I'm just wanting to double-check to make sure the froggy can go for two full days without food!

I've had trouble finding any books on the subject, too, but did find a LOT of great information on this site:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebi...gsArtNeale.htm
That is where I read not to use moon sand, as it can be abrasive. There are so many contrary answers out there! It can be tough to sort through it all!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #70 
SnowySurface

Oh...I thought the frog was the only one in the tank and the only source of ammonia.

If you have other fish that are producing ammonia the you will be fine. If the frog was the only source of ammonia then you can cut off the nitrATE's food supply. The rest of the community tank will feed the bacteria while your frog fasts. :)

Yeah...I've seen articles that say garvel will kill frogs because they will eat it and get impacted digestive systems. I've seen other articles say that using smooth rocks will kill them if they are small enough for the frog to swallow. I've read articles that say if the rock is too big to swallow it will kill an ADF by cruching it instead of clugging up the digestive system. Then I've read articles that say any gravel will be too sharp and to only use sand. Now there is an article that says sand is too rough unless it's this perticular type of sand.

I'm going to use the moon sand and see what happens. I will have two bare bottom QT/hospital tanks waiting in the wings incase disater strikes. It's all I can do until people agree on a one good substrate for ADFs. :(