Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #791 
LittleWatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatgirl View Post
Do ADF's have a problem with stronger lights? I just changed the bulb on my tank because I wanted to help the plants grow, and Legolas seems to be hiding more.
Well, they are nocturnal creatures, so that could be why they're hiding. The other light might have been just dull enough that they were willing to be out and about during the day, but with the brighter one, the might like getting out of it once and a while. Just speculation though.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #792 
Chesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatgirl View Post
Do ADF's have a problem with stronger lights? I just changed the bulb on my tank because I wanted to help the plants grow, and Legolas seems to be hiding more.
Great question! ADF's are nocturnal by nature, so yes - they DO prefer things to be more dimly lit, and will be out during daylight hours more often if they are given a nice canopy of floating plants to block the light a bit. Just be sure that he has lots of hiding spots for the daytime, so that he can get out of the light if he wants to, and he'll be fine. Daylight happens all over the world!

Surprising: I LOVE the name Croaks, it's adorable, lol! I like to hand-feed my frogs too, but be cautious about petting. Their skin is very sensitive - even the oils from your fingertips could cause harm. I let my frogs sit on my fingers during water changes, when my hands have been scrubbed clean time and time again (I do the frog tank last out of 5, so I can spend extra time to 'play'). Just be sure that you keep them under the water at all times, and be VERY aware that they can (and will!) jump if they wish to. Mine never have, but . . . don't trust it! I've seen a few frogs (other people's) get themselves in trouble that way.

Females. . . lol, they really Do seem to be as greedy as they can be, so I'm not in the slightest bit surprised to hear that!

Welcome to our group, both of you! Or if you've been around and I've missed you - nice to meetcha!!!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #793 
SurprisinglyFemale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
Great question! ADF's are nocturnal by nature, so yes - they DO prefer things to be more dimly lit, and will be out during daylight hours more often if they are given a nice canopy of floating plants to block the light a bit. Just be sure that he has lots of hiding spots for the daytime, so that he can get out of the light if he wants to, and he'll be fine. Daylight happens all over the world!

Surprising: I LOVE the name Croaks, it's adorable, lol! I like to hand-feed my frogs too, but be cautious about petting. Their skin is very sensitive - even the oils from your fingertips could cause harm. I let my frogs sit on my fingers during water changes, when my hands have been scrubbed clean time and time again (I do the frog tank last out of 5, so I can spend extra time to 'play'). Just be sure that you keep them under the water at all times, and be VERY aware that they can (and will!) jump if they wish to. Mine never have, but . . . don't trust it! I've seen a few frogs (other people's) get themselves in trouble that way.

Females. . . lol, they really Do seem to be as greedy as they can be, so I'm not in the slightest bit surprised to hear that!

Welcome to our group, both of you! Or if you've been around and I've missed you - nice to meetcha!!!
Oh I know better than to take them out of the water or play with dirty hands. I usually just wait until they float and then just let them rest on my finger.
Nice to meet you too! My name is Erika.
SurprisinglyFemale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #794 
Chesh

Old 09-25-2012, 06:00 PM   #795 
SurprisinglyFemale

I think I might have to set up a divider during feeding time... Tyrannith is devouring the shrimp my frogs haven't gotten to yet :( he's so fat
Old 09-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #796 
Chesh

Yeah, keeping frogs in a community can be tricky business! Remember, once your frogs are adults (9 months of age - which they are if you have singing!), you can go down to feeding them every other, or even every 3rd day. It might make things easier. . .
Old 09-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #797 
SurprisinglyFemale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
Yeah, keeping frogs in a community can be tricky business! Remember, once your frogs are adults (9 months of age - which they are if you have singing!), you can go down to feeding them every other, or even every 3rd day. It might make things easier. . .
I've been feeding them every other day. I didn't know if , even though it only happens once every two or three days, the fishy fatness will end up harming my little monster?

http://imgur.com/c9hjl

Last edited by SurprisinglyFemale; 09-25-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #798 
LittleWatty

I've had issues with my betta eating my frogs food. To solve it, I put him back in his store cup and float him in the tank (usually hidden in my taller plants, so he can't see me feeding the frogs). While he's in his cup, I'll give him his own food, so he learns to like it. Then, I feed the frogs, giving them ample time to eat before releasing the betta (for me, its between 30 min and an hour). It is a bit more work, but saves you a lot of trouble in regards to the health of the betta. Be sure to keep the betta/cup IN the tank, as sometimes they do jump out.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #799 
SurprisinglyFemale

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWatty View Post
I've had issues with my betta eating my frogs food. To solve it, I put him back in his store cup and float him in the tank (usually hidden in my taller plants, so he can't see me feeding the frogs). While he's in his cup, I'll give him his own food, so he learns to like it. Then, I feed the frogs, giving them ample time to eat before releasing the betta (for me, its between 30 min and an hour). It is a bit more work, but saves you a lot of trouble in regards to the health of the betta. Be sure to keep the betta/cup IN the tank, as sometimes they do jump out.
That sounds like a great idea! Thank you! I might put back my frog's food dish to cut down on the time it takes to find the food, too.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #800 
LittleWatty

I actually use a really flat river rock as a sort of "plate." Makes it easy for them to find food, as its always in the same place, and its easy to get to. So, the dish will probably be a great idea.