Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #821 
Chesh

Help me!!!!

Everything was FINE last night at feeding. I watched them both eat, and they were totally great! I even looked at their feet - cuz' they have CUTE FEET!!!

Today was busy, so I haven't had a moment, but when I went in this evening - something is REALLY wrong with Speckles! I've had her since February, and she's been the image of perfection since then. TONIGHT she suddenly has a foot swathed in mold/fungus - it seems to be red, possibly swollen. She's still swimming and moving, but the leg is dragging behind her - like it's dead. She also has a patch of this fungus on her shoulder and her chest.

WHAT IS THIS? How did it become so bad so fast? And WHAT DO I DO NOW?!!!

She's in this tank:

It's a fully cycled, well planted 10g. Her tankmates are a male ADF (Freckles), whom I've had since June and is showing no signs or symptoms (yet) of whatever this is, and a handful of Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They've been in this tank for almost 2 monthsish now, but the plants/wood/rocks came from other tanks. I've seen NO mold/fungus on the driftwood, and haven't made ANY changes in all of this time. Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0, Phosphates are 0, Nitrate is 5 - all very stable. Ph is 7.2, Kh 3gtts, Gh 7gtts...

Is the underlying cause of this redleg? Does it move THIS fast?! What can I treat a frog with? Should I move her to QT or treat the tank?!

You can see the awful little flipper in this shot, plus her chest and back:

The patch on her back:

And a gruesome foot shot (sorry) The green you see is riccia - not a part of the problem. . .

PLEASE! Someone tell me what to do!!!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #822 
Gizmothefreaky

Oh dear!! That looks like she got hurt, Bonnie got that fuzz when one of the fish bit her toe off, I would treat with aq salt and/or melafix. Poor dear!
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #823 
Chesh

Thank you, Gizzy! That is exactly what I've done. Last night, I put poor Specks into QT with salt mela and pimafix. OF COURSE these things have to happen in the evening on Sunday after all the shops are closed - if that wasn't enough, we're being hit with a hurricane today. . . I'm HOPING I can get to the store for some Maracyn this evening, but I don't know if that'll be possible if the weather gets worse (it's supposed to), and since I do in-home daycare, there is no way for me to go this morning. So for NOW, I have to stick with what's in stock... I decided to do a spot-treatment on the fungus with M.Green, which I have on-hand. HALF of what I've read says the frogs would be okay with this, the OTHER half says they absolutley won't (same goes for salt). So instead of doing a dip or adding it to the QT tank, I pulled her out of the water and used an eyedropper to put one drop directly on the wound. People have done this treatment with really sensitive (to this med) fish like loaches, tetra, and cories and had them come through fine, so *crosses fingers*

This morning, she's looking a bit better - the fungus on her back and chest is gone, but beneath the yuck is open sores. Her foot is still swathed in white, but it isn't as PUFFY as it was last night. . . she's still dragging it and not using it at all. She DID eat last night after being moved, and she is able to reach the surface to breath. She's in a medium sized Critter Keeper right now Depending on what she looks like this evening, and if I'm able to get out to the shop, I'll do another spot-treatment on her foot this evening. Hopefully the salt, mela and pimafix will aid in healing of her sores quickly, and keep this fungus at bay while her wounds heal. I also treated the 10g, JUST in case. I don't want Freckles to get sick, too!

Injury seems likely, but they're in there with no fish, and I don't see this kind of damage happening from. . . anything! If she scraped against an ornament, how would it be in so many spots? I can see the back and chest from maybe getting squeezed between rocks, but then the foot? *shakes head* I don't get it! She was fine, then not - and I check them out every day, so. . . this happened within a 24-hour time frame. It's weird!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #824 
SpookyTooth

That aquarium is so beautiful... wow. I really hope Speckles will be okay -- I wish I could say more but I've messed my arms up and am not allowed to type much

Sending healing thoughts her way!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #825 
Gizmothefreaky

Something in the tank might have shifted on top of her, they love to dig. Lol I'm sure she will be fine under your care. :)
Old 10-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #826 
Chesh

Thanks guys, sad to say she didn't make it *cries* I'm really sad right now. . . poor Specks! She seemed to be doing so much better today!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #827 
Gizmothefreaky

Oh no!! Im so sorry... :(
Old 10-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #828 
LittleWatty

Nooo! :( I'm so sorry Chesherca!
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:36 AM   #829 
SpookyTooth

Oh no! I'm so so sorry!! You did everything you could and I'm sure she knew that!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #830 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The one inch per gallon rule is fake.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote