Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2012, 09:13 AM   #831 
Hershey

Sorry for your loss. They're too cute too pass this quickly.
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #832 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Sorry too.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #833 
Gizmothefreaky

What does one inch per gallon have anything to do with the current conversation? O.o
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #834 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Under tankmates it says 1 inch of adult fish per gallon which is false.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #835 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

And P.S. ACF are illegal in most states.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #836 
Gizmothefreaky

You know that is a general guideline. And this is a thread about African DWARF frogs, nod African CLAWED frogs. So that doesn't even matter... The only reason that ACF are mentioned is because they are carriers of chytrid fungus. The mass breeders that produce ADF, also produce ACF, so they come in contact at the breeders more often than not. It doesn't matter which states they are legal in or not, they get shipped all over the country, so the frog you see in your pet store could have come from all the way across the US, where ACF are legal, and therefore bred.

=_=
Old 10-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #837 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You did not explain that and how come you did not know the one inch per gallon rule was on your care sheet?
Old 10-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #838 
Chesh

Thank you for your kind words, guys. . . I'm really upset by this and watching Freckles very closely in the hopes of catching any similar symptoms earlier than I did with Speckles - still running Mela, Pima, and about a half-dose of salt in that tank, he seems perfectly fine. I've also ordered Madroxy and Maracyn 1 & 2, which are frog-safe meds (antibiotic and anitfungal), so that if I ever see anything like this again, I'll be prepared. I wonder if everything would have gone differently with her if this hadn't happened on a Sunday evening before the hurricane and I was able to treat her with the proper meds from the start. . . nothing to be done for it now, but I'll be ready in the future.

I made a lot of mistakes with Speckles in the beginning. . .perhaps this all has stemmed from the fact that she was one of those poor creatures that was forced into a fish-in cycle when I started, and had the filter accident way back in February/March. . . I've learned so much about fish-keeping and frog-keeping since that time, Frecks hasn't had to endure any of these things, coming home to a fully established 10-gallon tank. At least I know that since those early days, Speckles has had a very happy and healthy life - until those last 24 hours - in a frog-only habitat perfectly suited to her needs. . . I got to see her grow and thrive - and even mate and scatter eggs! Her life here was good, if short. . .

When I get the kindergarten tank established, I plan to add a frog (or maybe two!) to their tank for at least a three-month time period - the new addition(s) can go through QT there, and then come 'home' to me and Freckles in the 10 gallon tank - if everything continues to go well with him. If he succumbs to the same illness, I'll have to tear-down and figure out what is the root cause. . . time will tell. I feel really odd even considering getting a new frog at this point, and I kind of don't want to - that was really hard to watch. But the Kindy plans were already laid, and I wonder if Frecks will be happy alone, having always had a buddy around. . . again, we shall see. Thanks again for all of the love - y'all are so wonderful! *hugs*

Chocolate Betta- sorry if I'm off-base here, but I'm reading your posts and it sounds as if they have a bit of a rude feel to them? I hope I'm not wrong, because that isn't how we play on this thread - we're all friendly here, and would like to keep it that way. If you have a question or concern about how to care for an African DWARF Frog, please politely ask your question, and I guarantee that you will get many helpful replies. Gizzy complied that care-sheet quite some time ago, and in the first post it plainly states;

Quote:
*Use at least 3 gallons water per frog & nothing smaller
From there, she continues on to say that one gallon per inch of frog should be added for each frog thereafter - and I'd say this is pretty sound advice. It is also worth noting that Gizmo is UNABLE to make changes or additions to the original thread at this time. Most of us who have kept these guys for a while prefer to put them into larger tanks, if possible - and when people find this thread and ask for advice, I have never seen anyone recommend anything under 3 gallons, with 5 being far preferable.

In MY case, I had only TWO frogs in a 10 gallon, well planted, fully cycled tank. . . upgraded from a 5 gallon a few months ago, because I felt that they would appreciate more room to stretch out. They both were happy and healthy to the best of my knowledge until 48 hours or so ago, when one of them developed an odd fungal infection. You can look back on the thread for pictures of the problem - and of their tank, which is an ideal habitat if you're planning on getting one of these adorable creatures. . .

IF you are looking for information on African CLAWED frogs, I've kept them, too. They need a MUCH larger space, as they can get up to 6 inches. You *might* be able to keep one in a 10g tank, but I feel that this is really too small for a single specimen at full growth. ACF are very dirty animals, and it would be difficult to keep the tank clean in such a small tank. ACF are voracious eaters, and can not be kept with any other fish, because they will find a way to eat them. . . Clawed frogs are carriers for the fungus commonly known as Chytrid, which is currently destroying even unto extension, wild frogs of all sorts worldwide. ACF are unaffected by this virus, but commonly infect ADF that are kept in the same shop as them. Many people also mistake juvenile CLAWED frogs for African Dwarfs, which is why they are mentioned in this thread. ACF and ADF are both legal to keep in my state, and many others. ADF have been recently banned in some areas of Canada.

Last edited by Chesh; 10-30-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #839 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Sorry was not really trying to be snarky I was more curous.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #840 
Gizmothefreaky

I know the information in the care sheet, but as Chesh just stated, it was a long time ago, and I didn't realize that was what you were talking about.

I know you don't try to be rude, but often your posts come across as 'I know more than you and you should do as I say', from what I've seen on this forum as a whole. If you had read the entire thread there are several posts where instate my personal preference for frog keeping is:

1 frog / 3 gallons
2 frogs / 5 gallons
3-4 frogs / 10 gallons

And that is assuming that you have no other stock in the tank. ADF commonly get about 2.5 inches long for females, so the 1 inch per gallon rule applies perfectly for them.