Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #871 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am saying that off from his reaction if he only saw a blur he would be scared.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #872 
LadyVictorian

I wonder how I am going to have to feed him then if he can't see that well....and what am I going to do when I get more ADF's eventually to live with him? This is a conundrum and I want Bilbo to be well off, after our struggle together against his illness he has turned into my favorite aquatic pet (don't tell Aquarius). He's an admirable brave little frog who puts up a fight...and he has given me a runaround the room <.<
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #873 
LittleWatty

I'm not so sure its eyesight, but don't quote me on it. I'm by no means an expert! ADFs have naturally very very poor eyesight (mine often can't see their food at all). They don't rely on their eyesight so much as their sense of smell. It could just be that he's a little skittish after being sick. I can't get one of my frogs to eat off my finger anymore, but the other one does so very eagerly. If you don't have one already, I'd get a turkey baster. I often use mine to suck up food from the bottom of the tank and move it to get the attention of my frogs, or to target feed (as one is way younger/skinnier than the other, and needs all the help he can get).

Last edited by LittleWatty; 10-30-2012 at 07:24 PM.
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #874 
LadyVictorian

I have an eyedropper and a small syringe. Could those work too? They haven't been used for anything other than cleaning the tank.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #875 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Depending on what you want to feed him.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #876 
LittleWatty

Yeah, it does depend on the size of what you're feeding him. My bloodworms tend to get stuck in the baster a little bit, but a good push will get them out (just gotta be careful not to blow them all over the tank). If you're feeding the frogs frozen brine shrimp (or live, I guess?) it should be ok with an eye dropper, as they're fairly small. Not so sure on the other foods though. Turkey basters are pretty cheap, I think I got mine for $2 at Target
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:18 PM   #877 
LadyVictorian

The beefheart I have to cut up myself and the mysis shrimp are longer than brine but not sure if they are thicker. Maybe just a tad bigger than them. Then black and bloodworms are a bit larger as well and fairly...plump I guess you could say.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:50 AM   #878 
Chesh

Hey, Lady. . . from everything you've said, I don't think this has anything to do with his eyesight. While it is true that these frogs have very poor eyesight, it's never stopped any of them from (eventually) finding food. And if you've been hand-feeding him OR using a syringe/baster/eyedropper, there is NO doubt that he knows where it is! In my experience, frogs will stumble around and snatch at the substrate while in search of food, but they smell it in the water and they DO find it. . . The variety of foods that you're feeding him is wonderful, and - aside from beefheart and black-worm - a lot like what I feed my own. . . Brine, Mysis, and Bloodworm are fine, but anything much bigger than that does need to be chopped into tiny little bite sizes for them to handle very well - but it sounds like you've got that under control, too. . .

Is it possible you've been OVER feeding him? You've only had him for a month, and it took me a bit of time to figure out that these guys really don't NEED too much food. I don't know how old your little man is, but an adult ADF only really needs to be fed every other or even every third day. I know that when I feed my frogs by hand, I tend to give them a bit more than I usually would, and if you've found leftovers on the substrate, it seems like *maybe* he's getting more than he can eat? If it were me, I'd try fasting him for a day or two, let his system clear out, and see what happens when he's a bit hungrier. . .

Refusal to eat *can* be a symptom for many illnesses, but it sounds like he's behaving normally otherwise. . . keep an eye out, though. If you notice any other unusual behavior, start looking into the possibility of illness.

The only other thing that I can think of is temperature. . . and water parameters, in general. If the temps dip too low in their tank, they are unable to digest food properly, and it can cause many issues - these are tropical frogs, does he have a heater in his tank?
You said the water is fine, and that you recently did a 100% water change - is this an uncycled tank? Huge water changes *can* stress a frog out, especially if he's been 'cupped' or removed from his habitat while you did it, perhaps he's feeling a little bit spooked? Do you have a water test kit? Toxin levels in a small tank can rise very quickly, and these frogs are sensitive little critters when it comes to ammonia and cycling issues. . .

I hope you figure out what his problem is! I really don't think that this is a vision problem, there is something else going on here. . . I'd really try skipping a meal or two and see what happens next feeding. . . good luck!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:57 AM   #879 
Chesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
So my species are compatible?
I think it's okay, as far as a community tank is concerned, but there is really no way around the fact that it's going to be a try it and see situation - you'll really have to have a backup plan just in case things don't work out! I DO recall a thread a while back about an Otto and an ADF going for the same piece of food at the same time, and the otto got suctioned on the INSIDE of the poor frog's mouth. The frog made it after an entire day of struggle - the otto wasn't so lucky. . . but that was a random fluke thing!
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:28 AM   #880 
LadyVictorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesherca View Post
Hey, Lady. . . from everything you've said, I don't think this has anything to do with his eyesight. While it is true that these frogs have very poor eyesight, it's never stopped any of them from (eventually) finding food. And if you've been hand-feeding him OR using a syringe/baster/eyedropper, there is NO doubt that he knows where it is! In my experience, frogs will stumble around and snatch at the substrate while in search of food, but they smell it in the water and they DO find it. . . The variety of foods that you're feeding him is wonderful, and - aside from beefheart and black-worm - a lot like what I feed my own. . . Brine, Mysis, and Bloodworm are fine, but anything much bigger than that does need to be chopped into tiny little bite sizes for them to handle very well - but it sounds like you've got that under control, too. . .

Is it possible you've been OVER feeding him? You've only had him for a month, and it took me a bit of time to figure out that these guys really don't NEED too much food. I don't know how old your little man is, but an adult ADF only really needs to be fed every other or even every third day. I know that when I feed my frogs by hand, I tend to give them a bit more than I usually would, and if you've found leftovers on the substrate, it seems like *maybe* he's getting more than he can eat? If it were me, I'd try fasting him for a day or two, let his system clear out, and see what happens when he's a bit hungrier. . .

Refusal to eat *can* be a symptom for many illnesses, but it sounds like he's behaving normally otherwise. . . keep an eye out, though. If you notice any other unusual behavior, start looking into the possibility of illness.

The only other thing that I can think of is temperature. . . and water parameters, in general. If the temps dip too low in their tank, they are unable to digest food properly, and it can cause many issues - these are tropical frogs, does he have a heater in his tank?
You said the water is fine, and that you recently did a 100% water change - is this an uncycled tank? Huge water changes *can* stress a frog out, especially if he's been 'cupped' or removed from his habitat while you did it, perhaps he's feeling a little bit spooked? Do you have a water test kit? Toxin levels in a small tank can rise very quickly, and these frogs are sensitive little critters when it comes to ammonia and cycling issues. . .

I hope you figure out what his problem is! I really don't think that this is a vision problem, there is something else going on here. . . I'd really try skipping a meal or two and see what happens next feeding. . . good luck!
I am starting to think it's over feeding, I tend to try and feed him two meals every day aside from wen which is fasting day for my fish so to make it simple I made it a fasting day for him. Yes he has a heater in his tank set to 80, I try to keep all my tanks the same temp since I pretreat my water I use for changing and heat all the pretreated water to 80 as well to avoid shock to my fish. As for tank he lives in a five gallon alone right now until I can put him back with the betta. He was ill so I had him in a 1 gallon hospital tank to treat him and he recovered fairly quickly and got back to eating a lot. I then went away for a week and had someone come over and feed the fish twice while I was away so the first day I got back he ate maybe a good six or seven bloodworms alone. Yesterday he also ate a bunch of beef heart so I wonder if he is full. I tried feeding him a lot because the place I got him from the frogs were all WAY underweight and the lady admitted people usually forgot to feed the fish and frogs because they expected someone else to do it so I was trying to put his weight on. He's plumped up since then but I am sure he could still fill out some more before he's a good healthy weight. The tank use to be cycled but I nuked it for fear when eh got sick that it was chystrid fungus so needless to say I am in the middle or recycling the original tank he lived in with the betta. Once it's cycled I am adding him back in because I am not sure if a frog would do well in a tank that is being cycled where as my betta is not bothered by it. Instead I do about 2 50% water changed and 1 100% every week just to keep the 5 gallon frog tank clean and ammonia free. I also try to make sure no uneaten food is left behind. Also it might be a factor but I know the tank he originally lived in with the betta had more cover where as this tank only has two plants and a cave. The tank with the betta had a temple/cave, five plants, and a glass bottle plus it also had a live plant (until I threw it away over the chystrid fungus scare). I have been looking for some ricca to throw into the frog tank for now and move over to the betta tank when he can move back in and eventually they will be moving together after Christmas to a 10 gallon cycled tank and after a good QT Bilbo is getting a girlfriend.