Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #941 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
I have sand as my substrate, they love digging around in it. So I am thinking Killer is hiding in the sand. >.<
I love sand too.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #942 
Chesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWatty View Post
I just saw something curious that I wonder if anyone has seen. I just finished doing dishes and walked back into my bedroom to see Tubby up at the surface, sticking his nose and mouth above the water. He was just kind of hanging out there. Not only is my ceiling light on, but the lights in the tank are on as well, so its very bright in there. Given that ADFs are a nocturnal species, I found this very odd. Coupled with the fact that Tubby took a tumble just the other day, I want to make sure this is nothing to be concerned with. As soon as I started to take off the lid to make sure he was ok, he freaked and dove back under a resin log, so his reaction time and speed are up to par.
Sounds like normal froggy behavior to me! It's very common for them to hang around in floating plants at the surface, and I've seen mine with his little snout above the water loads of times. Actually. . . when I 'lose' my frog in the tank, I open the lid to look for him, because he's often tangled up in a dense mat of riccia and just loving life. :) I also like to hand-feed mine when I see them at the surface - and they know it, lol! So I *might* be encouraging this behavior!

As a general rule it's normal to see a frog at the surface, they tend to do it more when they're young, and less as they age, but it's still not uncommon. But good to keep an eye out, because if he starts spending ALL of his time at the surface, it could be indicative of illness.
Chesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #943 
LittleWatty

Ok, good to know! :D He and Skinny were as ravenous as ever last night, so I'm not too worried about him yet. Just hoping they stay that way, since I'm moving in a few days! I'll have to chase them down with a net again and put them in one of my betta cups as I move locations... I hate doing it, but its safer than leaving them in an almost empty tank
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #944 
Chesh

I haven't had to move with fish or frogs yet... doesn't sound like a good time to me, either! Just make sure they stay nice and warm between point a to point b. A rapid temperature drop like they could possibly get in a cup can be really dangerous to their health. I'd move everything else, get it set up-ish, and THEN come back and move tanks. . .

They sound like they're perfectly fine and healthy to me - despite the insane jump, lol! I think that IF he was hurt, you'd have seen definite signs by now - lethargy, lack of appetite, hiding, odd swimming due to a hurt limb, or constant hanging at the surface BECAUSE it caused him pain to swim to the surface. . . to me it sounds like he's juuuuuuuuust fine - but it never hurts to be vigilant, always. The fungus that took Speckles moved so fast. . . it wasn't related to a jump or anything like that, but it just goes to show you how quickly these guys can go down hill when their normally tough immune systems fail. I'm sure all will be well for you, though!

Good luck with the move!
Old 11-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #945 
LittleWatty

I'm just moving down the street, so it won't be far! I was planning on leaving them in my old apartment until I have the proper amount of time to move them. I'm starting my move on Thanksgiving since I don't have to work, but I have to get back to my parents house that day too. On Saturday and Sunday I have to work, but it'll be easier to move everyone then as I'll have a friend around to help. Once I get moved, I'll be setting up all my tanks in a new way. I'll definitely post some pictures when I'm done ;)
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #946 
aemaki09

Is chrystid fungus transferred by air? I have an LPS that swears up and down that their ADF's and clawed frogs are transported seperately, yet they sit in open bowls within 4" of each other. This is the only place anywhere near me that sells them as well so I'd like to get a few but I dont want to if there is a high likelihood they will die in a few months.

And sorry if this is a stupid question!
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #947 
Chesh

No... the spores are carried through the water. That the tanks are open-topped doesn't *necessarily* mean anything, but if they use the same nets between the tanks, if someone gets an ACF then an ADF without sanitizing his/her hands in between, or have the tanks set up on the same filtration system (most shops do), then there is a very high probability that the tanks have been contaminated. Not EVERY ACF has Chytrid. . . but they ARE carriers for the illness, and it doesn't affect them. I'd say that if you buy from this shop, you should make sure that they'll refund you for these frogs in 3 month's time should they prove to be ill. . . do you have the chain shop PetSmart near you? They carry very good stock in ADF. . .

ETA: Chytrid IS treatable. It's a PITA to do it, and it requires a decent amount of work, but if you catch it early enough, you have a chance at saving affected frogs. . . just so you know. :)
Old 11-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #948 
aemaki09

I will check and see if they use the same net.
And there is a petsmart down the road but I've never seen adf's there. I might check again though.

How would I treat the fungus (if I bought one and it got it)
Posted via Mobile Device
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #949 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Are ACFs legal in your state? What is that plant in your avatar?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #950 
Chesh

I know some of the PetSmart chains don't carry them, but most of them seem to. . . maybe they'd be willing to order them in, since it's on their stocking list. I've spoken to the head cooperate vet for the entire chain, and they take great pains to ensure their stock is healthy and chytrid-free. Happy hunting! Hope you find your little froggies!