Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #1 
chicagojo

Fin rot vs. natural coloring?

First off, apologies that I don't have a pic to accompany this at the moment but will try to add one later. Our betta Feathers II has a VERY dark red, almost black, body color. His fins are a lighter red color except for the tips, which are dark, more similar to his body color. It makes it look sort of like the pics I see here of fin rot but as far as I can tell the edges of the fins still look even and uniform and I do not notice the dark part progressing, although I intend to monitor it more carefully. We have only had Feathers II for about 1.5 weeks so I can't say how long this has been going on but this coloring pattern was present when we got him and I don't think it has changed. Is it possible to have this type of pattern of coloration in a normal, healthy fish? I have seen the photos of mustard gas bettas but it seems like they are usually yellow/blue and Feathers II is dark red. Thanks!
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #2 
vaygirl

That's pretty common. I have a black bodied PK and he has black edging on all his fins, which are red. You're looking for thinning or fraying. If it's uniform and just dark, it's probably just fine. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #3 
chicagojo

Ok, that is a relief - thanks! I will watch to make sure nothing is changing but all this time I have been thinking how pretty the coloring variation looked, I would have felt bad if it was actually a medical condition that I was not treating!
chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #4 
vaygirl

We all go through that. When I had my first white marble I treated him for Septicemia because he was getting red in his fins.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote