Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #1 
ksage505

Oh no..new betta having trouble swimming.

I got a new crowntail today from walmart. From his outer appearance, he looked to be in great shape for a walmart betta. I just put him in his new heated, 1.5 gallon home with some stress coat. He seems to be having trouble swimming. Its hard to describe but.. its almost as if hes having trouble using his fins? He seems to be moving his little fins by his gills frantically while barely moving the others at all. He also twitches sometimes. Is it possible hes just having trouble getting things right after being in a cup for so long? His cup was one of the smallest I've ever seen... It was definitely more sized for a female. The water just touched his back, so he was very cramped up in there. Obviously, I couldn't tell he had issues in the cup because it was impossible to really see him swim. What does swim bladder disease look like in a betta? I've only ever seen it in goldfish? Do bettas act they same when they have it? If he is deformed, well I never wanted to buy a deformed betta, but I'd feel horrible taking him back because I imagine they'd just euthanize him. He doesn't seem to want to move around too much other than just to go up and get air.
Attached Images

ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #2 
ksage505

Well, I'm starting to think after watching him for a while that it may be SBD. He isn't floating or going on his side. Hes only moving to go up for air, and he has a lot of trouble doing so. The rest of the time he either lays on one of his plants or just kind of sits sideways on the bottom. I think I'll go ahead and treat for swim bladder and see how that goes.

Treatment for swim bladder is 1-2 teaspoons of epsom salt per gallon, correct?
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #3 
Leeniex

Make sure to lower his water so he can get to the surface easier.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote