Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #1 
Nouran

Help me black spots on my goldfish?

Hello;

Please, does anyone here have any kind of experience with goldfish?? One of my goldfish developed black spots on its body and im afraid its contagious and might harm my betta and my other goldfish

PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME WHATS HAPPENING????

Note:
My goldfish infected with the black spots seems to have nothing rong with its behavior, always playing and very active...loves to roll in the bubbles of oxygen , very fast and loves to be touched every time i feed it...its appetite is perfect it loves eating but of course i watch out not to over feed...just the black spots are worrying me.

SHOULD I MOVE IT TO ANOTHER BOWL ALONE TILL THE BLACK SPOTS ARE GONE? IS IT CONTAGIOUS?
Attached Images

Nouran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #2 
BettaMiah

Well, first off Goldfish should NOT be with Bettas. They are Colwater and Bettas are tropical or warmwater. Plus, for 2 Goldies you'll need at least 110 gallons. It looks like he is in a bowl!!!

Anyways, it looks like he has ammonia burn developing because he is in too small of a bowl and needs double filtration, so all the waste is turing into ammonia which is literally burning him. It isn't contagious, but your other fish will get it if he has it. It means the water quality is just awful. They will most likely die unless you get them the proper home.

Good luck.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #3 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouran View Post
Hello;

Please, does anyone here have any kind of experience with goldfish?? One of my goldfish developed black spots on its body and im afraid its contagious and might harm my betta and my other goldfish
I thought you said you seperated your betta from your goldfish
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #4 
Nouran

No i seperated my betta from the gold fish. but i drop him now and then with the gold fish just to play along together while i watch them. he has no problem with them.
I already live in a hot country so the water temperature is from 20 to 25 degrees Celsius which is no problem for both bettas and goldfish...its fine for both..
However betta is not in the same bowl...the goldfish is not living in this bowl i put him in another big tank i just seperated him in that small bowl first of all so he dnt keep moving and making it difficult to take a pic and 2nd of all i was scared it mite infect the tank or something... i returned him to the big tank anyway
i used to change water once every 3 days now im gona change it everyday...

thanks a lot
Note:
one last question. If i have a 2.5 gallon how many times shud i change the water?
Old 10-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #5 
Nouran

Yes i did i seperated them like since yesterday at night
Old 10-19-2011, 05:41 PM   #6 
mjoy79

so you seperated them except when you put them back together to "play"?
I can't respond to these threads anymore. Yikes.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:42 PM   #7 
BettaMiah

2.5 gallon for the 2 Goldies? No. You need 110. Or at least 20 to grow them in until you can get a better one.

Do NOT put him in there with them! He doesn't want to play. He doesn't care. And no, there is no 'in between' where they can both be fine. Goldies need cold, Bettas need warm.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:47 PM   #8 
LionCalie

Fish are not like people, they will not benefit emotionally from "play dates" especially when the play date is with a Betta. I strongly recommend you keep them separate from now on. Not to mention Goldfish are COLDWATER and Betta's are TROPICAL.

A 2.5 gallon tank should be cleaned 100% twice a week, but that is with a low waste producing fish like a Betta. If the Goldfish is in the 2.5 gallon then you should be cleaning it DAILY.
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #9 
BettaMiah

+1 Clean it DAILY until you can get him the PROPER home.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #10 
Nouran

Hahahaha please b patient with me its my first time oK?

I only tried that once u know putting them 2gther to play! I wont do it again ok fine...I just felt like wen hes alone he doesnt move much and looks rather miserable. when hes with them he looks bit more active...
Anyways I will keep him alone in my room then

for the goldfish i think they're way more fun to watch than a betta hes so boring and inactive even though more beautiful and colourful.
And OMG more than 110 gallons??? Thats huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge thats bigger than my whole house hahaha :P

I know i get the point that bettas like it 25 degrees C and goldfish like it cold...i Dont get it by "cold" I just put them in normal tap water and first treat it with dechloronator