Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2011, 10:31 PM   #1 
lexie08

Help with Betta!!

Hi there,
Just wondering if you might be able to assist with our betta problem. I have attached two pictures - one of our previous betta, who as you can see developed a white almost open ulcer on his under side right before he died. We waited about 4 months, 8 days ago, got another betta - and as you can see again he is not doing very well. There seems to be a white patch forming for him, (although it doesn't seem to be ick from what i read - more a fungus i am thinking?), he isn't eating, lying at the bottom of the tank. Can someone suggest anything?
Tank is 5 gallons, we just got a heater, although we can't change this temperature so remains at about 24 degrees, he is fed betta pellets, and we do a weekly water change of about 25% or so. Prior to this we had a betta for over two years, but right now something is going on! We feel so badly, and want to try and fix this problem for them! There is no one else in the tank with him, although at one point with our past betta had a couple snails, but not right now.
Any ideas? I would appreciate any help, no pet stores have been able to assist at all....
Attached Images

lexie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:29 AM   #2 
earthworm88

Hi Lexie, welcome to the forum. Would you mind filling out the sticky with all the details? Also, a closed up photo of your betta will help in figuring out what this white patches are. Quick question, what type of cleaning treatment have you done to the tank and substrates after your last betta passed away?
Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:47 AM   #3 
LionCalie

It's hard to tell what could be wrong because your pictures are so small. What I can tell you from the info you gave is you need to be doing 100% water changes (put the Betta into a different container before dumping out the water) on your five gallon once a week. Unless it is cycled or filtered, 25% is not enough to get rid of the harmful ammonia that will build up.

Are you using water conditioner?
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #4 
lexie08

Sorry - i have now tried to answer all the questions - so hopefully this helps a little more. As an update - our new guy passed away overnight, so although we love having them, are a little worried something is set up poorly in the tank. I will post a closer up picture later today.
Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? Approx 24 C

Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 pellets a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner, salt (1/2 tablespoon)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Haven’t tested it

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He lost a lot of color, whitish bump forming on his underside, between his gills - with previous betta, almost appeared as open ulcer. The new betta's fin's used to be quite large, however, they stopped "flowing" and almost starting appearing yellowish at the tips.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Stopped eating, stayed at the bottom, breathing hard
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 4 days after we got him
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Melafix

Does your fish have any history of being ill? New – only had him since October 10th
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Thanks!! We appreciate any help, as we would like to get another betta, but want to be sure everything is corrected.

Oh - and with the tank in between betta's, we washed everything with boiling water, let it sit for in the water for awhile, and then let the tank and items sit for about 3 months or so, as we were told the air would kill anything that may have been in the tank.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #5 
earthworm88

So sorry to hear your guy passed on. It does look like your water change isn't enough. I have a question about the salt, did you add 1/2 tsp of salt every time you change the water? Is this normal practice? What is the purpose of this treatment? Will wait to see what you mean by yellowish tip of the fins and whitish bumps on his belly when you post the photo up.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #6 
lexie08

And my post say's 1/2 tablespoon, but it should be 1/2 teaspoon of salt. My understanding is that the salt is to assist with preventing many diseases, and most stores we have spoken with stated to include this with water changes. Is this something normally done?
Question - with the water change - with a filter did you mean once a week wasn't enough, or the 25% water?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #7 
earthworm88

I figure you were talking about teaspoon Some people like to add that, but I personally think it's a bad idea as common sense dictates these are fresh water fish and not salt water. Also when salt treatment is really needed, it's possible that it may not be as effective as it should be due to its long term use?

The main question is, how much salt did you add back after you made the water change? I am not the best person to advise you about water change for filtered tank as I don't use filters and just as you said before, I have read conflicting info regarding this as well. Hopefully someone else can give you more info on this.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #8 
purplemuffin

One thing is next time, don't use Melafix! It hurts bettas labyrinth organ and can worsen situations honestly :(
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #9 
vaygirl

From where you're describing the lump, it sounds like he was bloated. Their stomachs are often referred to as their chins. But it's hard to tell being that the pics are so small.

I seriously doubt anything was in the tank after it sat that long. If your bettas are coming from the same supplier, they could be coming with parasites. It seems odd that the fish would be that bloated with just a three pellet diet unless there was something else present. The other possibility is a bacterial infection as one of the symptoms is a bloated abdomen.

The white patches, were they fuzzy? Did they look like they had cotton coming out of them or were the scales just white?
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #10 
lexie08

new pics

Hi....i hope these can help a little more, but they are again really small, but i am hoping a bit clearer? These are both taken when he is on his back, so that white area is on the bottom of him. (This was Zip - the first little guy that had this).

Question though: the second fish (Jet) died within 8 days of getting him...so it seems whatever this is, is very fast moving.
Attached Images