Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2011, 04:48 PM   #41 
MistersMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by betaguy View Post
oh moms

forgive my stupidity, i do not understand lol...
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #42 
LittleBettaFish

Unfortunately, if your tank isn't cycled I don't think your pleco is going to live long enough to require a larger tank. Cycling is where your filter has grown enough beneficial bacteria to convert ammonia and nitrite into nitrate.

Ammonia is a corrosive and is very damaging to the gills of fish, while nitrite affects the blood. Both can be fatal at only trace amounts (0.5-1ppm), and exposure to these can cause long-term health problems for your fish.

Do you have any test kits? Could you talk one of your parents' into purchasing one for you by explaining it helps you work out how 'safe' your aquarium water is.

100 gallons is only a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft tank. If you shop around or purchase them second-hand, they can cost under a hundred dollars. I know at 15 even without a job or pocket money I got money for birthdays and Christmas that could have gone towards it.

If it is a common pleco, it will need the space. They have a couple of full-grown ones at my LFS and they literally would not fit in a 35 gallon tank.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:06 PM   #43 
MistersMom

ah i see... well i can ask to borrow my friends test kit thingy... and how much does a used one cost?!?!
Old 10-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #44 
diablo13

I'm just going to say, 35 isn't big enough for most species except for the dwarf ones, like Bushynoses. Common Plecos need, bare minimum, 75 gallon for an adult. And even if you don't see it, they poo like crazy. I got a Baby Bristlenose, he's 2 inches long, and if I don't change his QT(1.5 gallons) every 4 hours, it gets cloudly. Sorry If you already said this, but what are you feeding it?
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #45 
BettaMiah

Its not cycled? Why? You should always cycle anything 5+ gallons.

Well, a liquid test kit is more expensive then a test strip, but thats what you need.

+1 Diablo- You need to make sure it gets food, NEED. They eat veggies like Zucchini and Cucumber, Romaine Lettuce, and Algae Wafers.

My cousion has one in his 20 gallon community. I need to talk to him about it when he gets here tonight.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:17 PM   #46 
LittleBettaFish

I've never seen people selling used test kits, unless you were talking about used tanks?

What is probably most important is ammonia and nitrite. Don't worry about pH, Hardness or Nitrate tests. You don't need them.

Single test kits cost around $8-10 brand new, from what I've seen over there (Petco online is selling them for around that mark). So maybe offering to do some extra chores or grovelling at the feet of your parents might help you put some money together.

Test kits are an invaluable tool for anyone with a fish tank, particularly for someone like you who's not sure on cycling and has just added new stock. You can't really gauge the quality of your water visually, so these provide some assurances as to what is going on.

If your pleco was unhealthy to begin with (coming from such bad conditions as you mentioned), than you want your water quality to be as perfect as possible as its immune system is likely under a lot of stress, leaving it suspectible to disease.

Poor water quality will also affect your bettas' health, and with several un-quarantined livestock in there, something like ich or columnaris could possibly break out.

Hope that helps some.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #47 
MistersMom

i am feeding it algea wafers , and to calmall your excitedness (EVERY 1) i will take him to the pet shop if he gets real big, calm yourselves. ad yes they pooh a bunch i get that too, my tank has a filter... and IDK if it is ot isnt cycled mkay??? i broke my vase by accisdent the day i got the tank so i just filled up the tank and got it all ready and stuck my fish in there after acclimateing him. sooo its not likei had the choice to cycle or not.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #48 
MistersMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I've never seen people selling used test kits, unless you were talking about used tanks?

yessss tanksss....
Old 10-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #49 
MistersMom

and YES that did help ALOT thank you...
Old 10-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #50 
BettaMiah

How long has it been set up? It can cycle with fish in it.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote