Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2011, 02:10 AM   #1 
ForbiddenSecrets

Exclamation Platy mom died giving birth...

I came home today and was rather distressed to find one of my platy girls, who had been very muchly pregnant, to be very muchly dead. I didn't know if I should blame Agathon [male betta] or Swag [male platy that is more aggressive then my betta :/] or just freak death.

I removed her and as I was staring at the tank trying to figure out what happened when I noticed tiny little fishies flitting about. :D She had fry :D Four of them acutally and they are the cutest. Though they stay on the side of my tank with my betta Xochipilli acutally. Seems he's less scary then their father and Agathon.

So tiny ! I'll try to get a better picture in the morning with my real camera and not my phone.

Ignore his fins. After his mating Xochi got super sick and almost died. He's doing much better now and is finally putting on weight but his fins will take a bit to recover. ANYWAYS though look at that size difference :D

I'm going all survival of the fittest with these little guys so if they are smart enough not to get eaten then they will grow up so pretty.

Edit: Ignore the mess c: It's sprucing in the morning lol

Last edited by ForbiddenSecrets; 10-20-2011 at 02:20 AM.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:15 AM   #2 
Sakura8

It's not uncommon. I had two platies die after giving birth to a few fry. Sometimes if they are stressed by something, they miscarry and get ill because of it. Also had this happen with one guppy, who dropped a single fry and passed. I think the move from the pet store to my home stressed her too much. So maybe Agathon and Swag didn't kill her. *hopes*
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:22 AM   #3 
ForbiddenSecrets

Wow I just noticed I put a dang smiley as my post icon. That is... really out of place :/

Yeah I know it's not that uncommon thats why I was kind of happy when I noticed the fry. It meant it was less likely that she was attacked. Swag is annoyingly the only aggressor in that tank so I might end up removing him. He stopped being so annoying to my betta when I had three girls and now with two again I'm afraid he'll go back to being a bit of a butt lol. [What happened to platy's being all nice? fft]
Old 10-20-2011, 02:26 AM   #4 
Sakura8

I heard platies can either be the best tankmates or real big jerks. So far I've been lucky, all of mine have been docile little things.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:33 AM   #5 
Pitluvs

One of my female Platy hybrids is a real pain, she almost got time outed a few times. Sorry about momma, good luck babies!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:35 AM   #6 
ForbiddenSecrets

One of my girls, my little Marigold, is the sweetest fish ever. The other sunset that is still alive is a bit more bold but is also nice. The sunset who passed [I always called them 'The Girls' talking about those two in particular] was much larger and was a little temperamental towards Swag who liked her the best.

Swag is... a brat. Agathon is the only betta who has ever bit me. And on the other side of the tank all alone is Xochi who now has platy fry *headesk* [divided 30 with the other side stocked for a 15 hex (even though thats smaller surface wise then I have) and one side with one lone fish. That was one headache to figure out how to stock]

Edit: Thanks Pitluvs c:

Last edited by ForbiddenSecrets; 10-20-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:20 PM   #7 
ForbiddenSecrets

Update : there are five little ones in the tank c: I got a little too sentimental over at least one surviving because their mom died in birthing so I put them in a breeder thing. ^^;;
Old 10-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Would you like me to remove the smiley?

Wait a minute, I don't see one, now.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #9 
ForbiddenSecrets

I edited the post in the 20 minute frame but it still shows up with the smiley in my subscriptions. ^^;;
Old 10-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol, ok.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote