Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2011, 10:33 AM   #1 
mjoy79

Question PETA on Betta

Here is a link to PETAs betta site. http://www.peta.org/issues/companion...etta-fish.aspx
Here is an article/blog that discourages fish-keeping period!
http://www.peta.org/issues/Companion...no-thanks.aspx

It appears they are well informed on proper betta care, however they discourage anyone from purchasing bettas - especially at LPS' - saying it just creates a demand for more.
I was going on their site to see if they even care about betta since they mostly care about furry animals, etc.

What do you think about PETA's stance on betta?

Last edited by mjoy79; 10-20-2011 at 10:36 AM.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #2 
purplemuffin

I can't really say how I feel about PETA on a forum like this.

But it's nothing good. They are radicals, and honestly, they would rather bettas all die. The true stance of PETA is that we should not own pets, and all animals should be released to the wild. Any manmade animal that cannot survive in the wild(domesticated dogs with special needs, bettas, cows) deserve to die anyway because they are not natural and have suffered the horrible touch of man.

So, no, I don't like it. They do their research of course. They want people to believe they are really helping animals instead of killing 97% of them. Yes, many of these animals were rescued from bad homes, but people also give healthy, happy pets to them when they have to move, thinking such a good organization like this will keep them safe.

Sigh. It's a shame. There needs to be better animal welfare groups. All the big ones are just...

Bleh!

The worst part is how many people who are innocent of their beliefs join them to really help animals, thinking they are saving pets. I've talked to PETA supporters before who were..shocked to see some of the quotes from the leaders of the organization.

Last edited by purplemuffin; 10-20-2011 at 10:47 AM.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:41 AM   #3 
Micho

10 gallons for one Betta? That's a bit, grand. . .
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

I don't think HATE is a strong enough word to describe my feelings for them.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:25 AM   #5 
Rjb5584

One of the most hypocritical organizations out there (at least at the higher echelons).

I remember a few years back one of the top leaders had an illness that could only be treated using animal byproducts (don't remember the illness or treatment exactly--I think it was diabetes), and then justified it by saying "well, this way I'll be alive to fight against others using the techniques that would endanger far more animals". The hypocracy is just so blatant and disgusting!

I usually have a bit of a foul-mouth, which I'm trying to work on. Organizations like PETA make it a very difficult prospect.
Rjb5584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:53 AM   #6 
MistersMom

they say ''don't swat at flies'' well why not? it's not like they don't carry diseases or puke on our food...
they say ''don't keep pets'' well what else are we gonna do with them? let the poor inocent animals die off? helk naw!
they say ''don't hunt or eat meet'' WELL God put them here for a reason!! wuld u rather us eat our children!?!?! PROBABLY SO! but im sorry, BEEF its whats for dinner....
stick it!
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:58 AM   #7 
LaLaLeyla

I dont like peta at all.
Aren't they against anyone having pets in general?
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:08 PM   #8 
SmokeNLark

I agree. Words cannot describe my hate for peta. While the idea of treating animals right is wonderful, everything else is bad. They do it wrong, they have warped ideas and are hypocritical. I can't say much more on here since this is a forum with children.

And the information in the article is not right anyway. Females can live together, males can live singly in a community and 10 gallons is not the minimum tank size. Honestly, I would highly discourage people from believing anything peta says. Where every argument bends facts consciously or unconsciously, peta does it openly, strongly and obviously. They are extremists and are up on their high horse thinking they are going good when they're doing bad.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #9 
Arez

PeTA: Notice how the "e" for ethical is lowercase, its the least important part of PeTA obviously. They are sick and crazy in my opinion. Its also sad how they have tried so hard to hide there extreme euthanizing rates from supporters, Im glad that was made clear a long time ago. They are too extreme with semi good intentions. I am a pitbull owner and officially recently a Betta owner, the two of which PeTA has made clear they dont support. Whether they like it or not, Im happy with my little Betta companion and my loving Pitbull companion.
Arez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #10 
MistersMom

i LOVE pitbulls, soo cute..... i plan on opening my own Shelter when i get older and i will NOT euthinize animals unless necassary, such as illness, near death, or something of the sort, if it has food agression or companion agression i will work with it to make it better, and warn the possible adopters of his/her flaws, they r always treatable.... they don't need to die just because their previous owners abused them, imo. i love animals, and i HATE ,with a PASSION, PeTA... they r the definition of infectious, life sucking, illness....i think they shld be shut down.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote