Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #61 
Laki

I'm the same, been vegetarian for nearly 10 yrs now and that's my decision. I don't make my bf eat more veggie food but he's such a foodie he don't care when we go to my sisters' (who are both veggie too). What I hate most about my food choices is how other people can try to control it. I am not a vegetarian bc I don't like meat- I eat the fake ones every day- but when I do and someone notices they tell me "You're a vegetarian!".. That's what bothers me. I know perfectly well "what" I am (A homo sapiens) but as for my diet? What does it matter to anyone else?!?!? I have taken more of a sarcastic tone with them as of late (at work usually) and say things like, "really? then please take my roast beef sandwich on me, mom".. And they get it. -_-'

Vegan life is not for me, however. I lived with a girl who went vegan... But went Peta vegan on me.. Harrassing me and her bf for ordering cheese on our pizza etc. . .

Dogs can eat a veggie diet but I would NEVER do it unless they literally were in danger of death for it. Cats should never never never never be fed a vegetarian diet. Cats are carnivores and REQUIRE meat protein to survive. Anyone who disagrees should be smacked.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #62 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
I'm the same, been vegetarian for nearly 10 yrs now and that's my decision. I don't make my bf eat more veggie food but he's such a foodie he don't care when we go to my sisters' (who are both veggie too). What I hate most about my food choices is how other people can try to control it. I am not a vegetarian bc I don't like meat- I eat the fake ones every day- but when I do and someone notices they tell me "You're a vegetarian!".. That's what bothers me. I know perfectly well "what" I am (A homo sapiens) but as for my diet? What does it matter to anyone else?!?!? I have taken more of a sarcastic tone with them as of late (at work usually) and say things like, "really? then please take my roast beef sandwich on me, mom".. And they get it. -_-'

Vegan life is not for me, however. I lived with a girl who went vegan... But went Peta vegan on me.. Harrassing me and her bf for ordering cheese on our pizza etc. . .

Dogs can eat a veggie diet but I would NEVER do it unless they literally were in danger of death for it. Cats should never never never never be fed a vegetarian diet. Cats are carnivores and REQUIRE meat protein to survive. Anyone who disagrees should be smacked.

Lol, see, I define myself as a vegan, I am who I am, when a teacher as who I am, I can honestly say "I am Jewish, I am Vegan, I am an animal activist, I am Pit Bull lover, its who I am" though I am against PETA, and I dnt care what people eat, I am against the way slaughter animals are treated (the shelter I volunteer wih has a chicken who fell off the back of a slaughter truck... Sesame, lol, the drugs and steriods given to them causes horrible health problems, Sesame has no ability to move his legs) its bad for the animals and bad for the people that eat them.... and I have met a pig who was suppoced to be slaughtered.... FUNNIEST guy ever, if you want to eat meat thats fine, but the animals should be respected

I HATE it when people freak out over it "OMG I have never met a vegan/Jew before!" its RUDE, and I loose respect when people do it

I had a "friend" wave a piece of bologna in front of my face as a joke.. well, I ripped it from her hands and through it in her face... she didnt talk to me for a long time, but she did say sorry later (we ar still friends)
Im a bit more tollerant to people that doit now, telling that it is rude and disrespectful... though I did have a 12 year old toss a piece of fried chicken in my soup once... and I DID fip out (I had no money and I hadnt eaten all day since I woke up late) the kid did buy me a salad :)

Dogs are meant to eat meat, I would never put them ona veggie diet because they are not meant to... just beause they can does not mean they should
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:39 AM   #63 
HatsuneMiku

oh sorrie laki .. i wasn't directing my vegan dog food question at you .. it was from the iams site .. and i really didn't know dogs could be healthy and happy on such a diet .. since i always thought that dogs naturally eat meat .. since my doggie never eats any veggies >.<
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:54 AM   #64 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Iams debate.. Okay. Not falling for it. Purina/Eukanuba/Mars. etc. . .Iams should not be fed just as much as most general store brands bc of the content. they MOSTLY all contain corn, animal by-products and the like. . You know, horror story stuff.

In my opinion, and I wouldn't be surprised if Peta was cutting those dogs in their own facility, the iams "debate" should be put to rest bc Iams is not the only guilty one.

Holistic and raw is the way to be.
??+100!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
DO NOT suport ANYTHING PETA does or says, PETA believes that humans should not have ANY domesticated pets, no dogs, cats, horses, frogs, fish, NOTHING
They think police dogs are wrong, service dogs are wrong, and ALL working animals are WRONG

PETA is one of the big supporters of BSL (breed selective legislation) which makes it illegal to own any pit bulls, APBT, boxers, mastiffs, chows, GSDs, dobermans, rotties, etc
If you own one of those dogs your dog is taken and euthanized

PETA also euthanizes 98% of their animals.... comapre that to the average for ALL high kill shelters at 60%... PETA only adopts one or two pets every year
Actually, with Breed Specific Legislation, your dog is actually protected under the "Grandfather Clause" which means you can keep your dog as long as it doesn't pose a threat to the community (no dangerous dog on your record) and that you purchase an insurance for over $1,000,000 on said animal. Also, they must be muzzled in public and neutered. BSL gives the government of said area the ability to watch your every move and bring down harsh penalties on the owner should any little thing go wrong (like snapping at a fly). BSL prohibits new bully breed dogs from entering the area and placing huge responsibilities on people who own them. Sadly, only the good owners follow the rules, the very same people who shouldn't have rules to begin with. Although still horrific for a dog owner to go through, it's a little different than how you explain it. If BSL were to pass here, my dog would be "safe" and not hauled from my home and euthanized unless my dog gives them the slightest chance to do so. Either way, it's totally useless.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:06 AM   #65 
bastage

BSL is complete bull****.. I have owned 4 dogs from the above list.. Most notable a Chow that lived for 18 years that just recently passed (poor chomper).. Never once have I had any dog from that list attack me.. I have however been attacked by a German Sheppard as I was waiting at the bus stop for school when I was younger & my mom was attacked by a dalmatian that we rescued from the shelter..

On the flip side my best friend has 3 Pit's.. And they have no kids mind you, but when we go over there they all 3 take the abuse of my daughter playing with them & pilling on there ears & even trying to ride them.. All 3 of the dogs absolutely love it and couldn't be happier.

Point is the breed doesn't make the dog bad.. Its the owners that make the dog bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
Lol, see, I define myself as a vegan, I am who I am, when a teacher as who I am, I can honestly say "I am Jewish, I am Vegan, I am an animal activist, I am Pit Bull lover, its who I am" though I am against PETA, and I dnt care what people eat, I am against the way slaughter animals are treated (the shelter I volunteer wih has a chicken who fell off the back of a slaughter truck... Sesame, lol, the drugs and steriods given to them causes horrible health problems, Sesame has no ability to move his legs) its bad for the animals and bad for the people that eat them.... and I have met a pig who was suppoced to be slaughtered.... FUNNIEST guy ever, if you want to eat meat thats fine, but the animals should be respected

I HATE it when people freak out over it "OMG I have never met a vegan/Jew before!" its RUDE, and I loose respect when people do it

I had a "friend" wave a piece of bologna in front of my face as a joke.. well, I ripped it from her hands and through it in her face... she didnt talk to me for a long time, but she did say sorry later (we ar still friends)
Im a bit more tollerant to people that doit now, telling that it is rude and disrespectful... though I did have a 12 year old toss a piece of fried chicken in my soup once... and I DID fip out (I had no money and I hadnt eaten all day since I woke up late) the kid did buy me a salad :)

Dogs are meant to eat meat, I would never put them ona veggie diet because they are not meant to... just beause they can does not mean they should
if you got a chicken off the slaughter truck & it couldn't move its legs its got nothing to do with anything they were giving the chicken.. its got to do with the breed itself. As most of the chicken consumed in the US is Cornish Cross.. My family eats alot of meat & we prefer to raise it ourselves when possible. Well last summer we decided to try our hand at meat chickens (as well as the flock of egg laying chickens we already had). We got Cornish cross chicks at less then 2 days old.. We attempted to let them free range on my dad's property just as we did all the egg chickens & quickly realized that they refused to go anywhere.. They would literally sit down in-front of the feeder bins & stay there all day, eating from one end & crapping out the other. Most of them didn't even grow proper feather covering either. These birds were certainly given no chemicals or steroids at all, but they still wouldn't walk other then to occasionally get a drink. They wouldn't stand of scared either & they wouldn't put themselves up in the coop for bed. Its simply what they are. Being an intentional genetic mutation that makes them grow fast & be docile.

We also raise our own pigs every year & they are a ton of fun. Each one has its own personality & likes to play. They are also well spoiled each & ever day till its time for them to be processed.

As for being Vegan I have a serious question. As you stated it was the treatment of animals you disagreed with which I can completely respect, will you eat eggs from home raised free range chickens? I have had 2 friends that were vegans what would eat the eggs I gave them because the chickens were not mistreated in any way. They were in fact receiving daily doses of 4 year old snuggle time from my daughter & had no worries at all.

Last edited by bastage; 10-23-2011 at 08:22 AM.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #66 
nel3

^ many chickens in the meat industry are also bred to be heavy set to make walking harder. pretty sad if you ask me, they couldnt even walk far if they wanted to because their legs arent strong enough. they may move in thier early months but once the weight starts to rise they lose the ability to stand walk and often remain sitting for the rest of their lives.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:01 AM   #67 
Laki

Simply defined, a vegan is someone who does not consume ANY animal product. So your friends were not vegan if they consumed your eggs. By definition they were lacto-ovo vegetarians. But that's not really important.

I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian bc 1. I love a lot of real dairy items in which the vegan substitute is not my thing. . . and 2. I'm too poor to be a vegan. I love eggs and cheese and baked goods.

I totally respect people who want to eat meat and are conscous of what they buy and where. The best way is raising your own food animals bc they get to live a real life and die happy. Plus, I used to think it cowardly, though immediately necessary in urban centers, to buy prepared meat at the store. Most people who eat meat wouldn't enjoy the way it was prepared and I always thought lowly of those people who paid others to have it done for them... I even hated my own parents for claiming to love animals yet, unable to look at a dying cow before they ate one. THAT is what peta made me (when I was an impressionable kid)..
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #68 
nel3

i do find the meat industry rather unethical in the ways they go about it. im not vegetarian or anything but i eat any sort of food without much distinguishing. though i do find the meat induetry is rather twisted, so much so i cant really be bothered to avoid it. i do find it stupid that companies pump healthy animals with drugs so much they grow immune and affect us when we need lifesaving medicine only to find drug tolerance bc the meat we eat. the method of dealing with tainted meat on the factory floor is also warped and expensive. instead of putting the animal on natural food ie grass rather than corn based meals. a sick herd of cattle can get rid of any potential health danger just by taking them off the corn based diet for 2 weeks. the only problem to the company is that they shed the excess muscle from the corn based meal too much, cutting their profit margin. that may also be true for indusutry chicken but they probably are still predestined to weaker leg muscles.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #69 
bastage

Quote:
Simply defined, a vegan is someone who does not consume ANY animal product. So your friends were not vegan if they consumed your eggs. By definition they were lacto-ovo vegetarians. But that's not really important.

I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian bc 1. I love a lot of real dairy items in which the vegan substitute is not my thing. . . and 2. I'm too poor to be a vegan. I love eggs and cheese and baked goods.

I totally respect people who want to eat meat and are conscous of what they buy and where. The best way is raising your own food animals bc they get to live a real life and die happy. Plus, I used to think it cowardly, though immediately necessary in urban centers, to buy prepared meat at the store. Most people who eat meat wouldn't enjoy the way it was prepared and I always thought lowly of those people who paid others to have it done for them... I even hated my own parents for claiming to love animals yet, unable to look at a dying cow before they ate one. THAT is what peta made me (when I was an impressionable kid)..
The choice she made was to not eat the byproducts of any animal that was mistreated... That ends up being vegan with very very few exceptions. The 1st time she had the eggs I gave her was the 1st she had in 3 years.. She was simply opposed to the treatment of production animals..
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #70 
Bombalurina

Although I'm not a vegetarian now (I live at home and since we eat as a family, I eat what they eat), we always choose the most ethical meat we can. However, when I leave home I plant to become vegetarian. Best case scenario (if I have a garden), I am going to get chickens so I can have truly free-range eggs, because I have seen what "free range" from super markets really is, and it's not much better than battery.
When I'm a millionaire I will have a smallholding with a cow or goat, so I can have my own milk, too. :)
Aah, dreams. :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote