Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #1 
Irishdancer

Just bought a fish with SBD

Today I bought a crowntail betta, and I had literally just stepped out of the store when I noticed that he seems to have swim bladder disorder. As long as he's swimming he's fine, but as soon as he stops, he rises to the surface of the water and starts floating on his side. He also seems a little bloated, but no other symptoms as far as I can tell (since I don't really know what his normal coloring is, and I haven't tried feeding him yet). He's very active, which is why I didn't notice this before I bought him.

Does this sound like swim bladder disorder or something else? What would be the best treatment?
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #2 
BettaMiah

Yeah that soulds like Swim Bladder alright. You need to fast him. Bettas usually recover quite well from SBD.

Good luck! You could also put him in some Epsom salt and feed him some dapnia. It clears them out.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #3 
Silverfang

Definitely epsom salt, start conservatively at 1tsp/gal, and if that doesn't work you can increase it to 2 or 3.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #4 
Luimeril

i'd start by fasting him first, rather than jumping right on the salt from teh start. whenever my boys or girls float(or, rather, whenever Cup would float), i'd fast him/her for a day or two, to see if they poo. that'd almost always fix it right away. if that doesn't help, THEN try the epsom salt.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:01 PM   #5 
Irishdancer

Thanks. Another questions, would it be better to move him into his tank or into the half-gallon bowl until he's doing better?
Old 10-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #6 
Luimeril

until he stops floating, the bowl might be better, as long as you can heat it safely. i always kept Cup in his tank, and had a small sandwich baggy covering some of the surface, so he could lay under it and not dry out on the side he had above the water.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

I would go ahead and start an Epsom salt treatment (Not Aquarium salt) tannins along with 100% water changes for 10-14 days....water temp 78F-quiet dim lit location for the first 3 days-you may have to float the temporary QT container in a heated tank to maintain water temp-if so, be sure and attach it to the side so it doesn't sink or get knocked around by a filter if one is used.......

I would keep him in the small container you bought him in for this treatment and cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to help retain the heat and humidity for his labyrinth organ

Premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source-either IAL or dried Oak leaf and let this premixed treatment water steep for at least 30min to start releasing the tannins and the salt to dissolve...Shake well before use and use this premixed treatment water for 50% water change every 15min for 1 hour to total 4 water changes....this will help to get him acclimated to the new water chemistry....if at any time he seems stressed with the treatment water-reduce the percent to 10% every 10min or so....your goal today is to get him in 100% of the treatment water and this may take longer since he is a new fish......

Tomorrow start 100% water change every 24h-be sure the premixed treatment water is the same temp as the QT container water-you can either float a second cup of the premixed treatment water in the heated tank or make 50% water changes back to back over 10-15min

Hold food today and offer small frequent meals of a good quality varied diet-its important to keep his digestive system working...If you have access to mosquito larva offer some rinsed a couple of times a day......

Often with buoyancy problems-it can be related to genetic issue and/or how they had been raised at the fish farm-sometimes this can be a chronic problem and they will always be a floater, however, generally they can still live a normal/happy life-but may need to be kept in lower level Epsom salt 1tsp/gal long term once the treatment is completed- as well as lower water levels and limited to no water movement/filter...its hard to say since he is so new to you at this point....it could just be a temporary issue related to too cool/dry air, constipation and/or a bacterial infection.....

Can you post a pic.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #8 
vaygirl

Also, as long as he's not spooky from the new surroundings, you can try using a mirror to get him to flare. I don't know why but that sometimes causes them to poop. Just make sure he's comfortable and not already stressed from being new before you try that.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #9 
Irishdancer

For some reason I'm not getting good pictures, but I could get a video. I'm uploading it as an unlisted video on youtube, and I'll post a link as soon as it's uploaded.

Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq-F0UlNPU8
earlier he was floating completely on his side, but right now he keeps uprighting himself as soon as he starts tipping over.

Last edited by Irishdancer; 10-20-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:47 PM   #10 
Silverfang

OFL has the best advise, epsom salt. You also mentioned you just bought him, depending on how long they've had him in stock, he could be a new betta, and they sometimes need even longer than you'd think to adjust with bouyancy issues.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote