Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #11 
Luimeril

why start the salt treatment, if you don't even know what's wrong with the fish? it could be something as simple as, the fish has to poop. i NEVER did salt treatments with Cup when he was bloated, and all the way up to this last bloat, witch was a heck of a lot worse than his usual bloat, it worked JUST FINE with fasting him and seeing if he took a poo. i don't belive in medicating fish for ANYTHING, not even fin rot, if i don't have to, and rarely even use aquarium salt anymore, because often, clean water or fasting them works JUST FINE.

telling people to start salt treatments right away sometimes makes things worse. start by eliminating what's NOT wrong, before jumping to the salt. anymore, it seems like Epsom Salt is being used as a 'cure-all' for EVERYTHING on this site, and it's NOT.

the OP should start by FASTING their fish first, to see if just taking a poo will help. if after a few days, he poops and it DOESN'T help the fish, THEN start on the salt.

Last edited by vaygirl; 10-20-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #12 
Oldfishlady

The sooner you start a natural treatment the better and decreases the odds for the need to repeat treatment or the need for stronger more harmful products....I do agree however, that over treatment with chemicals can often do more harm than good....Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) is a natural treatment and safe to use long term and with live plants-it has natural antibacterial/fungal properties, has a laxative effect, reduces edema......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:08 AM   #13 
Irishdancer

He seems better this morning. He was resting at the bottom of his bowl instead of floating at the top when I woke up. He also has his tails spread out a lot more today. I didn't realize just how beautiful he is! LOL

He's not completley better though. He still is tipping to the side a little bit. How can I tell when he's ready to be moved into a bigger tank? Should I start feeding him now?
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #14 
Luimeril

glad he's doing better!

does he seem to have trouble reaching the surface at all? if he doesn't, i think it'd be okay to move him.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #15 
Irishdancer

No, he's swimming around just fine. I decided it's definitley time to move him, because this morning he's been having arguements with his reflection on the bottom of the bowl. I've got gravel in his tank, so he won't have that problem there.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #16 
Luimeril

sounds great! :3 sounds like he's just about better! does his tank have a heater?
Old 10-24-2011, 10:40 PM   #17 
Irishdancer

It has a heater, but I haven't had to use it yet because the water is staying in the upper 70s without it.

I have another question now. It's been a few days and the bloating has gone way down, and he isn't floating anymore. He actually seems to prefer the bottom of the tank to the top, although he's not having any problems reaching the surface. He's still tipping over onto his side, though. Does that still sound like SBD?