Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #1 
BettAy Paige

Red face "Make me an offer" Craigslist situation...

Relevant information is in red; tangents are standard black as to minimize the fact that they do not pertain to this thread that I started! To get actual, experienced advice )

I placed an ad in the "items wanted" section of CL a few days ago looking for tanks anywhere from 5-15 gallons (bitten by the bug? me? surely you jest! ). Anyway, I received a e-mail from a woman who has owned the entire Top Fin 10g starter for a little over 7 months. Here's the product info and what's all included in the kit ($50 @ Petsmart.com + $6 shipping):

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...#RatingsDetail

It looks like a nice basic 10g decent tank, but it's all the "extras" that "are bonus included" with it (a.k.a., you're probably being charged for the samples of tank polluting betta flakes, the cheap ass net that can damage fins, one water treatment, sample kits, coupons for more "not horrendous, but could be better of the same" ).

But, after a brief stop in the "how happy he'll be in his $10 Betta Setup .25 environment with his neon yellow, cactus like, tree (*cringe*), I feel have hopefully set my little dude (in his half moon three gallon..upgrade on the way!), as best as I've learned how so far, almost entirely from this lovely, lovely site

So, normal routine is Prime treatment for water changes (50% twice a week, %100 once, for my filtered 3 gallon), Epsom & aquarium salt are on standby, as well as other remedies for both common & uncommon Betta health issues I (which, knock on wood), I will not have to use. Better safe than floating...

I try to vary his menu to include: Hikari Gold pellets, blood worms, mosquito larvae , and he's slowly warming up to other variates, begrudgingly, of course, as is his nature. [Sidebar: he reminds me of Ron Swanson from Parks & Rec]....anyway, Thursdsy is his fasting day (ok,a semi-fast, maybe a pellet or 2 a day if I get puppy dog eyes once to many) day every week or so. Okay, betta lovefest concluded.....

so, anyway...all 2 of you still following along:

This, my painfully long, unintentionally drawn out post basically comes down to this. She's got all the equipment that came with the starter box,: hood, filter, refill cartridge, etc. Plus (to maybe up the price a bit? she's "throwing in" all these tacky, trademarked, sparkly princess castle, some UNC probably lead paint flaking football mascot.... all super tiny, non-(betta) stimulating.

But I've no use for the majority of it. Because, frankly, I try to invest in proven, quality stuff that makes my boy's living space (hence, me), comfortable and happy. I know it stresses him out like mad when it's bowl/water change time (3 times a week). My goal is to cycle a bigger tank, get some plants and just
not obsess about when a tea mug with blood worms will show up when he least expects it (personality epiphiny: he is soooooooooooooooo "Frasier mixed with "Ron Swanson"

and people say fish are mundane..).

The betta starter kit stuff never wowed me (not that I knew any better, though, and bought one on a whim at Petco. EEek), and he was always mopey, which I took personally, of course, as I should have. It wasn't until I found this board and started taking advice from actual pros, breeders, hobbyists, and genuine lovers of bettas (as opposed to the 'typical' high school kid in my local Petsmart that leaves 9:1 ratio of dead or painfully dying bettas to the one who is, well, breathing and not missing half of his face/tail, scales.....*deep breaths, deep cleansing breaths*

Jeez, ADD is in full bloom today...

Bottom line: listed above are the things I want, plus a water testing kit, and I've e-mailed her as much (still trying my damnedest to get this tank. I played the whole "Betta are one of the most delicate of the freshwater fish community. Their fragility is legendary ), that she's okay with splitting up the whole lot....unfortunately, she is also one of those sellers who flat-out refuse to make the first offer, ever. Reminds me of people who always insist on asking "So, How old would you think I am?" Never a right answer.

So, what should I throw out as the first offer to the 10g Craigslist lady? You never want to go to low, as to insult, but not so high that you're the fool and could buy it at Wal-mart way cheaper. I'm sure I'll upgrade the standard accessories at some point, which is costly, thus a factor, but not this year, I'd guess. I'll probably just divide whatever tank I end up with, cycle it, fishless, shrimp, whatever gets it done (I know about the sticky ), buy a pretty opal-y male (not picky), then I'll get myself a gorgeous, over bred, doubtlessly prone to every known freshwater disease ever that will monopolize my life, vanity starlet half moon from Aquabid who will hypnotize me with his haughty beauty, and from then on, "try" to rescue a half dead, hole in the head Wal-Mart lost cause to my spare 1.5 or 3 gallon until they get better or well, don't...

SO.........first offer you would make on a basic 10g, 7 month old glass fish tank, filter and refill pad, heater, fish cover with light. It was $50 brand new at Petco at time of purchase, plus $6 shipping.

Relevant information is in red; tangents are standard black as to minimize the fact that they do not pertain to this thread that I started! To get actual, experienced advice )
BettAy Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:25 AM   #2 
Pitluvs

Holy... my head hurts! If it's the same stuff as the kit, I would offer her 50% of the price, or $2/g +$5 for the accessories which is $25.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:48 AM   #3 
erinandares

I just bought a twenty gallon from a guy on craigslist with a heater, filter, hood, light, and gravel for forty dollars. If that's any help. :3 I've been buying stuff like Stress Coat and varied medicinal things and a gravel vacuum and that varied diet on my own, and according my math, I'm still coming out ahead because that was an awesome price for all that stuff he has.
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:26 AM   #4 
AngelicScars

I think it would depend on what shape it was in after 7 months. I wouldn't go higher then $25.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #5 
BettAy Paige

Sorry, my insomnia tends to cause rampant late night post rambling.

Anyway, she was pretty much insulted by the $25 offer I made her. She kept going on and on about how the test strips alone were $20, and she was looking for at least $60 for the items I was wanting. Just barely, I held my tongue and just wished her luck. I mean for $20 test strips (and she buys them every few weeks), you may as well get the master liquid kit that is way more accurate and you get more uses. Eh, no biggie.

Again, sorry for the mega post on such a trivial issue, lol. Carry on..
Old 10-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #6 
purplemuffin

Whatever, it's her loss. I doubt she'll find someone who's going to pay for all that at the price she wants. Better deals WILL come around. After months of searching my best craigslist deal was a 55 gallon tank, 10 gallon tank, heat lamps/clamps, three things of driftwood, lids for both tanks, and brand new reptile calcium for 33 dollars! All cause she was too lazy to clean the tanks and no one was willing to put in the elbow grease! :D
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:35 PM   #7 
AngelicScars

Yeah, she won't get that price for that tank and stuff. I wish people would realize these are tough times and WILL search for a better deal (because it's out there).
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #8 
BettAy Paige

Thanks. It's hard, because I'd love to start cycling a larger tank with plants, etc., and I'm sure it will take a bit to get everything right. Meanwhile, my boy is chilling in his 3 gallon, getting incredibly stressed from his mandatory water changes and filter (even baffled + lowest setting). I'm dying for him to have more room and maybe even a tank mate or two.

The frequent water changes are a bit time consuming as well. They also send my poor boy into full on panic attack mode, even with no net and bloodworms as a treat
Old 10-17-2011, 11:22 AM   #9 
purplemuffin

Don't worry, you'll find a deal soon enough.

How much do you care about the 'extras'? Is it just the large tank you want or do you want the filter, gravel, food etc.?

If it's just the tank I can tell you that reptile people will sell them for infinitely less than fish people, because we value them far less(a fish tank isn't great for reptiles. It works. But it's meant for fish), so when snake owners finally get 'real' enclosures, they practically throw the tanks in the garbage/give them away for nearly free. I always see the cheapest large tanks from people that used to house a gecko or ball python in them! Like in general, the reptile community doesn't like to spend more than 10 dollars on a 10 gallon aquarium, so we generally sell it for that price(I have so in the past as well).. The fish people know what tanks are worth more, so they tend to beg for the highest prices!

You might need to REALLY clean that tank, if they were bad owners and didn't clean there might be stuck shed and yucky stuff. BUT..it's a tank! And cheap!

Last edited by purplemuffin; 10-17-2011 at 11:24 AM.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:04 AM   #10 
Bloeduwedd

$60 for a 10g on CRAIGSLIST? She's ridiculous. I got my 20gal, with decorations, gravel, filter, heater, hood, and light for $20 on Craigslist. Oh, and they threw in ten red wag platies for free because they couldn't take them and wanted them to go to a good home. I feel that I got an awesome deal, and would have been willing to pay at least $40 for the setup. I suggest you keep looking... because for $60 you can buy a new 10gal setup at Petsmart and have money left over. Just my two cents :)
Bloeduwedd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
craiglist, used tanks