betta fish

Old 10-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #11 
betta89

he did poo once but he is stiil huge
i cant post a pic because my camra brooke again
betta89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #12 
betta89

ok this might sound bad but what is epsome salt?
Old 10-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #13 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksage505 View Post
If he is bloated, I suggest you give him a salt bath. You will need to use epsom salt. Mix 1 teaspoon of salt per gallon of water. If you have a quarantine tank or bucket, something like that, I suggesting using it for the salt bath. Make sure you use water conditioner and make sure the water is the same temperature as his aquarium water. I would let him soak for an hour or so first of all and see if that helps. Otherwise, keep him in the salt for 1-2 days or until the bloating goes down. I'm not an expert on this subject so someone please correct me if I have anything wrong here.

My betta was bloated an the hour salt bath fixed him right up. His belly had been swollen for about four or five days and I noticed he wasn't pooping. I gave him an hour salt bath and as soon as I put him back in his aquarium he pooped and his belly went back to normal size.
use salt only as a second choice. i've said this before, and i'll say it again.

see if the fish has to poop, before resorting to salts. it could be something as simple as the fish is constipated and needs to clear out his system, or it could very well be something that requires the salt. but, you ALWAYS try the fasting BEFORE resorting to salts. i've NEVER had to rely on salt to help a bloated fish. Cup, was the only problem fish i had, and i DO wish i had epsom salts when i had trouble with him, but i tried fasting first. that didn't work, and i wish i COULD have tried salts as a second treatment.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #14 
betta89

also there frozen not freez dried
Old 10-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #15 
ksage505

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta89 View Post
ok this might sound bad but what is epsome salt?
Epsom salt is used for medical issues mostly. Reduce swelling, helps ease pain, etc... You should be able to find it just about anywhere. CVS, walgreens, walmart, and grocery stores should all have it. I got mine from CVS. You can find it in the pharmacy section of your store. If you don't see it just ask an employee.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:20 PM   #16 
ksage505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
use salt only as a second choice. i've said this before, and i'll say it again.

see if the fish has to poop, before resorting to salts. it could be something as simple as the fish is constipated and needs to clear out his system, or it could very well be something that requires the salt. but, you ALWAYS try the fasting BEFORE resorting to salts. i've NEVER had to rely on salt to help a bloated fish. Cup, was the only problem fish i had, and i DO wish i had epsom salts when i had trouble with him, but i tried fasting first. that didn't work, and i wish i COULD have tried salts as a second treatment.
Thanks, Luimeril. When my fish bloated fasting didn't seem to help. Not to say that it won't help the fish in question, just putting it out there that I did try fasting first! Once I noticed the bloating I began fasting and he still wouldn't poop, so I went with the salt bath.

Last edited by ksage505; 10-20-2011 at 04:23 PM.
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #17 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by betta89 View Post
also there frozen not freez dried
frozen's a great thing! happy to see someone who gets their bettas frozen!

if he's pooped, but is still swollen, go ahead with the salt treatment. i always go for fasting first, though. it's helped 99% of the time with my bloated babies.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #18 
betta89

thanks i would never feed my babies somthing i wouldent eat myself and i would never eat freez dried anything