Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #1 
purplemuffin

Driftwood?

So..how long does it usually take driftwood from a petstore to start to sink?
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #2 
Micho

Shouldn't it sink, like the day you buy it? .____.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:58 PM   #3 
pyro fiend

no micho usaly i dont think it should.. i was always told when buying them to weight them down in a tote with a brick or something befor puting them in a tank.. it makes it waterlogged and gets al the 'extra brown pigmenty stuff' [forgot technical name for it] so it dont discolor your tank :)
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #4 
purplemuffin

I bought two, one sinked, the other one has been floating. Only been a few days, I'll wait a few more. I've been researching and apparently depending on the wood some NEVER fully sink -_- so, what would you suggest that is heavy that I could weigh it down with in the fish tank permanently?
Old 10-20-2011, 06:48 PM   #5 
pyro fiend

personaly if i wa sin this situation id fill up a tote just enough to cover it and maby put some kind of sting like fishing line ans put a brick or something heavy. im not sure what youd fancy personaly iv never had a problem with sinking driftwood. but i wish you luck..

btw just setting it on top wouldnt help it waterlog =[ ud just be soaking down half id think just my thoughts on the matter :) but if its being sold as aquarium drift wood it should sink or eventualy become waterlogged.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #6 
purplemuffin

it's not sitting at the top, I have it submerged. I just occasionally check to see if it floats when I life the weight off of it :)

Also, cute ball python!
Old 10-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #7 
pyro fiend

hmm.. well maby you got the bad apple of the batch? LOL

and thanks hes my baby :D

thought i was being unique puting my snake on a betta forum then seen yours and was like IM NOT ALONE YAY lol so had to change it to a feeding one instead of him climbimg on my hand seemed.. already taken ;) :P
Old 10-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #8 
purplemuffin

lol! I couldn't help it, I'm just so proud of Nagini, I love showing her off. She's my first snake to raise from a baby. Been a whole year and she's growing strong! We got our ball python as an adult, so we never got to watch the whole growing up thing!

I might just have the bad apple. I'll see if I can find any fish safe heavy things to weigh it down with!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #9 
pyro fiend

i couldnt help it eather i raised a bearded dragon for 3 years and felt bad i never bred her. and someone wanted her and gave me a baby ball. for her. tho i was given it too soon he was fresh hatched and only had like 1 feeding -.- but i coped now houdinis bout a yr yr n hlf old and almost 2 ft. hes my 1st snake.. i have a rat collony goin now and he will be a stud next year for me and my buddys breeding program :D hes a 100%het piebald so im proud to say i watched this bugger grow up big and strong :) [evn tho i work with 20-30ft snakes daylie]

but gl on the driftwood.. talking bout its makin me wana add some not too tho -.- lol
Old 10-20-2011, 07:21 PM   #10 
purplemuffin

Oooo I hope he gives you guys some beautiful little pied babies! Such a classic, beautiful morph! :) I'm saving up for breeding myself, I'm interested in ultramels, pieds, clowns, and raising high high quality pastels. Like the NERD lemon pastels that are like, 500 dollars. BUT! They never brown out! That's what I want :D But the ball python breeding is really only to get me prepared for other things. I'd like to eventually breed Boelens pythons to help prevent them from being wild caught. :) If I can provide a stable captive population, some of the wild ones can stay IN the wild!

I bought a bunch of new plants and I wanted to have the driftwood to attach them too, as well as give Dionysus some landing spaces to rest on. Thanks for your help anyway! :D Maybe by tomorrow it will finally sink!