Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

Albis are great wilds to cut your teeth on. Unfortunately, I am too attached to all their little fry to sell them, so I am going to have to move the whole family into a 30 gallon tank.

Once my goldfish move into their pond in a year's time, they can have the 100 gallon to themselves. I plan on turning it into a wild betta biotope paludarium with a trickling river filter and emersed plants.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #12 
Banicks

Ooh so they like cold-ish water as opposed to their cousins!

Do the males create bubble nests when they want to spawn?

I'll restest my pH levels from tap to see how soft it is, if it isn't soft will IALs be sufficient enough to lower pH whilst still releasing tannins for the wilds?

Sounds like a take it as it comes for food kind of deal, I would have to assess once I get them settled.

What is a reverse-trio?

Dang can't see those pictures, stoopid work!!
Banicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #13 
LittleBettaFish

Don't expect them to do much but hide for the first couple of weeks. Having a smaller aquarium and forcing them to come to you for food, is the best way at getting them accustomed to you.

They are mouthbrooders so the male will carry the eggs in his mouth until they hatch and are ready to be released. This takes 12-15 days. If he starts pointing his head up near the surface, it generally means he is nearly ready to release.

Most wilds prefer cooler water than domesticated splendens, as a lot of their habitats have low light penetration due to the overhead canopy.

Peat and IAL will all help soften water, as will lots of wood. Test your tap water after 24 hours. Our water drops from a pH of 7 to around 6 as it has no buffering capacity.

A reverse trio is two males and a female. Males spar, but won't actually kill each other like splendens.

I'll try and get a photo of my set-up. They live in a quarter filled, 3 foot tank. It was only supposed to be temporary, but they have been in it for a few months now and are doing well.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #14 
Banicks

Sweet, thanks very much LBF.

So keeping a m,m and f in the one tank is ok? I'll just have to keep an eye on the sparring to make sure it doesn't get over done.

Looking forward to seeing your setup!
Old 10-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

You can just keep a pair if you'd like. You just need to separate the female in a breeder's net to let the male recuperate after brooding and it should be fine. My male will generally let the female know when he is receptive and ready to go.

Don't be surprised if the male swallows the eggs a few times. You can tell when he's still holding because he will hide and not accept any food. Stress can be a factor in swallowing, so try not to disturb him too much.

My male is a stubborn holder. He held even when I chased him for 10 minutes with a net. I would have left him with the fry but I was worried the female and other fish would eat them.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #16 
Banicks

Naw sounds cute lol