Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2011, 07:04 PM   #1 
Draug Isilme

Brown Algae

I finally got my 5g cycled and I've been noticing brown spots appearing on my decorations as well as my tank walls- I'm assuming it's a kind of brown algae. I was reading a bit about it, and it makes sense since my tank is newly established and such.... Are there any good methods of getting rid of it? I've scrubbed some of it off with a toothbrush with old tank water, but I haven't really been rinsing the stuff off 'cause I'm afraid it'll get rid of all the good bacteria that's grown on everything... It's really obnoxious >.<
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #2 
Nubster

Time. It will go away.
Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #3 
Draug Isilme

Oh....... >.>.. well then.. Thanks
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

That is correct.....once the tank matures the diatoms will usually resolve on their own...this can take about 3 months...also old light bulbs (over a year) and too short a photoperiod (under 8h) can cause diatoms.....until the tank mature...wipe the diatoms off and suck them out with the weekly water changes....don't worry about removing too much of the nitrifying bacteria-its pretty sticky and adheres to all the surface areas in the tank-in the top layer of the substrate and in the filter media....remember that the nitrifying bacteria can be suffocated with too much debris/mulm that can prevent oxygenated water from circulating around/on it since it is oxygen dependent-a good weekly substrate vacuum and the filter media rinse/swish in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month will prevent that......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #5 
nel3

im seeing that also in my 2.5, i have green algea and some brown algea. will it come back if i scrub it off?
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote