Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal. used to be 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 75-82 F
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? if plants counts
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? ghost shrimps, cherry shimps
Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? hikari pellets,betta min flakes and frozen blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 times a day or more when i feel like it o,o
Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I heard planted aquariums doesn't necessarily need water changes correct me if I'm wrong but i do change them from time to time
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? aqueon water conditioner, APi co booster, nutrafin plant growth
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
nope
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
not really sure, just noticed it, the streak on his back isn't fuzzy or cottony, I'm not sure if its just his bones but the lump actually protrudes.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?he got better cause i gave him a bigger and better tank
When did you start noticing the symptoms? last night
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? nope, not sure what it is
Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes, what he got mad at me for changing his water and tore his fins =(
How old is your fish (approximately)? about 4-5 months tops
Fasht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:19 AM   #2 
Fasht

sorry for the double post

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

here you can see at the tail end there a silver stripe.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and you can see it's very visible even from a far
Old 10-29-2011, 09:35 AM   #3 
Myates

I'm sorry, but I can't see a streak.. the lump on his side in the back of his body? Are you talking about the lump or a coloration around there? The lumps are natural there.. if it gets bigger then it could be lymph, but otherwise, I see nothing wrong with him.

As far as cleaning the tank, yes, naturally planted aquariums tend to need less water changes, as far as %s go, but should still have a regular change once a week. Depending on how many real plants you have, it could be anywhere from 25-50%, dosing with the full dose for the tank volume with the conditioner.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:39 AM   #4 
Fasht

oh ok, thank you much, he got me worried there whew, lol
Old 10-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum.....what a lovely fella you have.....

He looks fine...I think what you may be seeing is the normal part of his anatomy called the caudal peduncle....google that and look at some pics to be sure.....

True-live active growing plants can help with water quality-but you have to have active growth of the right number and species for it to function well enough to not have to make any water changes or limited....

If you use plant ferts...it is really important to make a water change before each dose-otherwise you may end up with an algae farm.....what the plants don't need and use will be used by algae....

In natural planted soil based tanks (see pic in my album) that are about 75-80% live active growing plants...once mature can go a fairly long time without water changes....but with these type of system you don't add ferts, inject CO2...etc.....the soil provides the nutrients for the plants as do the byproducts from any livestock, decomp of plant material...etc.....somewhat self supporting...low tech, low/mod light...everything is recycled.....as close to a natural ecosystem that you can get in a closed system...but it still needs some water changes...just not like a regular gravel or sand based planted tank.....the dirt is alive......

From your pic and number of plants and adding ferts-you should be doing at least 25-50% weekly water changes to maintain water quality and balance....

What kind of lights are you using-age of bulbs, kelvin, watts and photoperiod
What species and number of plants and any plans to add more....

Just an FYI-what baby RSC the Betta doesn't get...the ghost shrimp will and the ghost shrimp can get into places that the Betta can't....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 10-29-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #6 
Fasht

Thank you, he is lovely

"Just an FYI-what baby RSC the Betta doesn't get" what's RSC?

I'm actually building this tank to be a natural plant aquarium as well, i used miracle gro organic potting mix as my soil and a layer of gravel on top

the plants I have right now are anubia, moneyworth, marimo moss ball and I'll be adding Fissidens splachnobryoides as the carpet
Old 10-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

RCS-red cherry shrimp...you have them listed with the ghost shrimp in the stats....

Awesome...NPT (Natural planted tank) that is all I keep...just setup a new 10gal yesterday (see pic in my album) plan to break down my 55gal NPT sometime this weekend and re-do it NPT...I better get going....lol....lot of work tearing down a tank and removing all the dirt...at least the weather is nice enough to have the door open so I can run my 50ft siphon out the door and into the garden to drain it and make the water changes for start-up....I couldn't do it if I had to carry buckets of water....laffs......hard part is catching all the livestock especially all the RCS...got a lot of them last night to place in the new 10g NPT..but still about 50 or so left.....

Be sure and have all the plants on hand when setting up soil based NPT...you need lots of stem plants and some floating plants to start or the system can crash on you......

Look forward to seeing pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #8 
Fasht

I have quite a few stem plants right now, still waiting for my other plant to arrive.

Will do post some pics and thanks for the help