Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2011, 10:46 PM   #1 
GreenTea

Exclamation Super quick question for confirmation of treatment

I got some new AB fish today, the giant female is sort of resting on her tail in her cup so her mouth is at the surface, occasionally breathing heavily. Last I checked she seemed to have straightened out a bit. Her front end seems a bit heavy like she's propping herself up. No other signs, she was properly acclimated. I have her in warm IAL treated water with a little bit of epsom salt. She ate a few bloodworms.

The male betta rushes to the top of his 1 gallon temp tank and then was sinking directly to the bottom and sitting on the bottom, breathing heavily. I have him in warm IAL treated water. He seemed to have some scrapes from shipping, so I added a 1/2 dose of aq salt since he seemed stressed. I also added a sponge filter to increase oxygen in the water and encourage some movement and circulation. Didn't eat anything.

Both tanks are also treated with Seachem Prime. All other fish acclimated without issue.

Is this the correct treatment? Thanks in advance guys and gals.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:07 AM   #2 
GreenTea

Photo of the female and her "sitting" position. I released her into the 2.5 gal to see how she would fare, and she just sort of was floating mid tank, head up, tail down, and had a bit of a time getting air so I just cupped her again and refreshed her water with more epsom.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:50 AM   #3 
Thunderloon

What was the arrival condition of the water they were shipped in? Did you test it for hardness, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

How much air was inside the package and was the package non-abrading soft material with soft buffer packaging or were they shipped in a sealed hard container?

What was the total time between cupping and uncupping in the shipping materials?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both are sounding to me like there is a disfunction/injury to the swim bladder. This can be caused by an increase in atmospheric pressure either from being shipped from a higher altitude or from loss of pressure in the shipping containment due to either poor containment or bad containment and shipping in a depressurized aircraft.

I had a girl cambodian who actually completely collapsed her swim bladder and she had to circle the tank to get to the surface for air so I don't think this is a permanent issue in the swim bladder, just a question of aclimating them to your ground level.

BUT that girl looks badly beat up, physically battered. This can bruise the swim bladder and several other organs.

For their comfort I suggest dim light and keeping the water temp accurately at 79-80F and skip the epsom, use a little AQ salt with the IAL.

They're probably suffering the same pain we'd get from a nasty coughing fit and getting punched in the chest a lot.

Attention is probably more important than treatment right now but DO protect them from infection with the AQ salt.

Last edited by Thunderloon; 10-21-2011 at 12:53 AM.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:55 AM   #4 
GreenTea

No I didn't test their water. The conditioner of their water was clear, maybe a few of those weird yellow/orange poops that happen when they are shipped. They were al were drip acclimated to the conditioned IAL water over about 4 hours. They were shipped in the normal plastic bag with at least 50% air in them, packaged on Tuesday. I'm not sure what you're asking me about cupping and uncupping time.

Did your Cambodian girl die? Why do you say the female looks beat up?

Last edited by GreenTea; 10-21-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:01 AM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

I'm pretty sure here in Australia, our fish stay in quarantine for a week or so before being shipped to us. Is that the same in the US with your transhippers, or do they just send them directly through to you?

Your giants might just be stressed out by the shipping process. I always add a couple of drops of prime to the water they arrive in, as if your pH is higher, once you start drip acclimatising that is going to increase the toxicity of any ammonia present.

I would just give them time and let them settle in. Hopefully they should recover.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:04 AM   #6 
GreenTea

I added prime to their source water this morning (had already done it when I set up the tanks as well) and added a drop to their cup while being acclimated. She charges to host the fish. Side note : I love watching fishchicks youtube videos even though I can't get her fish. She's so funny and the fish she imports always look amazing.

And no, Jennifer has the option of taking care of them for you, but you can chose to have them shipped to you. Jennifer usually gets them Sunday night and ships out Tuesday morning. This week she had them for an extra day, shipping on Wednesday and I use overnight shipping.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:12 AM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

Sounds like you've done things by the book so hopefully it is just stress.

I'm a terrible acclimatiser. I just open my bags and plop my bettas in. Never had a problem doing it that way, although I think it's because they've had that time at her shop to acclimatise to our water.

There must be a huge difference in water chemistry between Thailand and the US. Being bigger fish than the others, they might just be taking the stress of travelling a little harder.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:18 AM   #8 
GreenTea

Well the giant male is actually great, the male in question is a regular hmpk from another breeder. They get acclimated and their water changed in Georgia, so it's not straight Thai to WA. I was so scared with my first shipment about acclimation that I literally hand dripped water into their temp cups/tanks one drop at a time over a span of like 12 hours, and then floated all the females together for a few days before releasing them. The floating for days was partly because it was my first sorority and I was worried. Now that I know what's going on, I felt comfortable releasing two new females in tonight after acclimation - they're in the photos section under "breeding pairs" if you're interested.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #9 
GreenTea

Well the male is looking better after upping the aq salt to a full dose for a day and a half. It appears he has a little injury by his eye as well. Anyway he ate a lot today and has been swimming around his 1 gal more and more as the day goes on, his buoyancy issues seem to have gone away as well.

No improvement from the female. She has white, stringy looking stuff coming off of her. It is not hair or fluffy, it looks like when pest snails muck up the water and there are flowly little white strings in it. It appears to only be around her gills and head, hardly visible. I have just been sucking it off of her and replacing her cup water to keep it from building up in there.

Since IAL, aq, and epsom salt has not helped her I'm going to try some betta revive. That's sort of my desperate measure solution but it has worked well for me in the past.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

Could it be her slime coat shedding? One of my males is very sensitive to water changes and additives. If I don't double-dose his conditioner or if I add something such as blackwater extract or IAL, he will start flashing and shedding his slime coat.

Glad to hear the male has improved. It can't hurt to try some betta revive if nothing else has seemed to help. Fingers crossed for you. She's much too nice to lose.