Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #11 
GreenTea

Thanks lol I agree. It could be her slime coat, but I have a feeling it's not...I lost another this way. Even if it's slime coat, her position seems the same or worse today. I also bought some stress coat because I was out. I think I'm going to use stress coat with aq salt and betta revive. There is also IAL in the water. Is this overkill?

Last edited by GreenTea; 10-22-2011 at 08:14 PM.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:35 AM   #12 
GreenTea

After reading up I think it's skin slime disease :( I'm glad I have been clearing it away from her face, apparently the excess mucus can build up and cause the fish to suffocate. She has all the symptoms of this disease. To treat I'm raising the temp, full aq salt dose with stress coat, IAL and betta revive in case there are parasites. She seems a little better already tbh.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Is she also flashing...since slime disease is caused by a parasite.....excessive slime coat or mucus hyperproduction can be caused by a number of things- but generally it is due to some type of irritant-like-chemical, water chemistry, poor water quality or parasites...

Is she having any rapid breathing....just the excessive slime coat and bottom sitting....but still eating.....

It could be shipping stress, a chill, osmotic stress along with a parasite that all caught up with her and compromised her immune response and she can't fight it off herself.....did you talk with the person that sold her to you to see if she was having any problems, treated or spawned recent....

I would be careful adding too many different chemicals/products right now...I would get the water tanned as dark as you can get it and use aquarium salt 2tsp/gal in a premixed jug of dechlorinated tanned water, temp 76-78F, dark location, low water level, no water movement-only make 25-50% water changes every other day-you want as low stress as you can get-if you have some water lettuce or frogbit, duckweed-add this to the QT and leaf bits (IAL or Oak leaf) too-this can help with water quality and give her a more secure feeling for the stress...you don't want to float her in a tank with other fish

If you have mosquito larva offer these-limit processed foods to very small amount if you don't have live food to offer....

She is a lovely lady....hope all goes well....I would be e-mailing the seller if you haven't already......sometimes when you have a fish in the sitting position it can be genetic related or how the fish was raised at the fish farm...not saying it is.....just a thought.....
Good luck...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #14 
GreenTea

Thanks for responding ofl. Yeah I emailed the seller and sent him photos, he has agreed to replace her if she doesn't make it. What I fed her so far has been blood worms and exactly 1 brine shrimp. She was in this sitting position in the shipping bag, I was wondering if she was just kind of squished and stuck that way and had damaged her swim bladder. Does this seem like a swim bladder issue to you?

Is flashing like thrashing about and jumping? No she is very still, no jerking or scraping against anything. No rapid breathing, sometimes with a water change she does breathe a little rapidly for a moment. When she takes a breath she opens her gills to let the bubbles out. No she's never been spawned and she was "straight" in her selling photo. She is not always in the sitting position, and seems to be doing it less and less so these last few days. She just seems to want her mouth at the top.

I'll go start tanning some water and do exactly as you have posted. I've just had her cupped and floating and replacing the cup water once or twice a day. She's been in my living room where I've kept the blinds drawn for a few days, (for her - the rest of my fish are getting a lot of sleep lol) I'll keep them shut. They're brown so there's only a sort of warm glow to the room.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #15 
GreenTea

Oh I also have duckweed which I'll add.

She ate about 4 pellets! She's in a 2.5 gal rectangular tank filled to about gallon with aq salt, and IAL now. I put her in the cubbyhole with the least sun so she can continue to chill out. She's certainly a fighter. I am sucking the excess stuff off from around her gills with a pipette, should I continue doing this? I'm concerned she'll suffocate :/
Old 10-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #16 
purplemuffin

So glad she is eating!! I have no advice, but I want to wish you luck with your sweet giant girl. She seems like a real trooper! Poor thing must have gotten really beaten up in shipping!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:57 AM   #17 
DarkMoon17

It's good that she finally took food! I agree with OFL, Aquarium Salt, IAL and darkness. If she isn't flashing then the cause isn't parasites, it could be from stress or water quality changes. Stop the Betta Revive, it does not treat parasites and is harmful to bettas. Stress Coat is fine though. I'm not sure about removing the slime coat, I've never actively done it. OFL do you have experience with removing Slime Coat? Good luck and keep us posted.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #18 
Oldfishlady

I have never removed the slime coat nor had a Betta suffocate due to excessive slime coat...if she is tolerating you removing it and its not stressing her..I see no harm in doing it....the salt should also help her make more slime coat and shed it more frequently since it is an irritant.....

Ask the seller if he ever uses salt.....she could also be really salt sensitive and that may be the cause of the excessive slime coat...some are more sensitive than others especially if they have never been exposed......

She may just need more time....its a good sign that she is eating.....
Old 10-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #19 
GreenTea

Oh you guys I am so happy I could cry. I made a video to what I came home to. It might not look like much but she has made so much progress! She wouldn't move from her corner yesterday and tonight she can swim horizontally. I took a photo yesterday cause I noticed her colors improving, and took a video tonight to show her progress. OFL, Darkmoon and others, I don't know if you'd be into it, but if I could, I'd kiss you right now! Thank you thank you thank you! I love her emerald green spots and bald head and would be so sad if I lost her. She is going to make such a great mom when she's better. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! She made a valiant effort and ate like 8 pellets this morning. Glad she was a fighter.

Here is a photo of her yesterday, horizontal for just a moment -

Here she is tonight -

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y28...t=MVI_3234.mp4

Water changes: I just sucked out poo/leaf bits/slime coat off the bottom and replaced it with more ial, salt, conditioned water. EEEE so happy!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:56 AM   #20 
Oldfishlady

Good to hear she is getting better......she is a pretty lady.....