Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #1 
tromboneplaya

really sad :(

I just had to share these new betta bowls that they had in petco today. They are so tiny....the barbie one might be a 1/2 gallon absolute tops.....I'm guessing less though. The super hero ones were even worse and I would guess them to be about a pint....maybe a little more. Not that the size isn't bad enough, but withe barbie/super hero themes it's going to cause a lot more kids to want them just because of the bowl (I think anyway). It makes me sad that this is going to be the life for some of their fish :(
Attached Images

tromboneplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #2 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Wow I hope that doesn't come to our Petco. I have seen the way kids pick up betta cups and plead their parents to buy it. I am quite sure that the appeal of these bowls would only worsen it. It's much worse when the little kids have gotten their own money from b-days or however they obtained it, because they go on buying things they don't know how to take care of. I saw a little 6 or 7 year old girl almost buy one of those expensivish looking lizards in the reptile section.. Luckily her mom had the sense to say no.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:50 PM   #3 
rubinthebetta

*jaw drops at the smallness of the bowls* Why would someone make something like that? If you make a product that will be popular just because of the theme at least make it bigger!
rubinthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #4 
tromboneplaya

I don't understand why people make things like this. Its obviously all for the money but you would think that some of them would care about the well being of the fish....guess not
Old 10-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #5 
LeoTheLakerBetta

It's kind of the same thing with cigarettes; the company knows it can cause horrible death, but they would rather take the money..
Old 10-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #6 
pittipuppylove

*sigh* I saw those at my local Petco... I was with my friends and they were shocked that these things made me so mad.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #7 
megaredize

they dont even look like bowls, look like toys. i dont know why they make theme tanks soooo small. you could make a 5 gallon barbie tank or super hero tank and then still be targeting kids but at the same time be big enough to actually have fish in it.
megaredize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #8 
LeoTheLakerBetta

Yeah that is the whole sad misconception about bettas. If I ever become a Fish associate at any pet store I would certainly tell betta newbies that these tanks are unacceptable.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #9 
thekinetic

If I saw someone looking at one of those or other deathtraps I would be tempted to ask them if they would like a bigger tank if I bought it for them.

It just saddens and disgusts me to see such things. >:(
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #10 
tromboneplaya

My fiance and I were both freaking out about it! I was so angry...I can't believe anyone would make these. Because like megaredize said, they could easily make a 5 gallon tank in these themes...