Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2011, 12:32 AM   #1 
Kytkattin

Post 2 Gallon Planted Experiment

Hi all! Sorry for my disapearance. I had a family emergency and then midterms this week. Glad that most of that is behind me! My boyfriend brought up my old 2 gallon from when I was keeping my boys in them; I was hoping to rescue my roomies poor fish, but she doesn't seem to want to give up the poor things. So how could I let a 2 gallon with a heater just sit there? I went to Petsmart last week and they had this pathetic little all white female with pink cheeks. Her fins were clamped, and I didn't think she had long. But I was going to have a super busy weekend, and wasn't sure if I really needed another fish, so I didn't bring her home. Well fast forward to today, and she was still there! And she actually looked better than before. Less clamped at least. I brought her and a stalk of lucky bamboo home (leaves above water!). The 2 gallon has been sitting with duckweed and a million creatures in it for about 2 weeks now. I think there are even shrimp! It is actually cycled right now, I have the readings that I will post below. I added the bamboo and a moss ball. I will possibly add some christmas moss as well. Any other suggestions for low/medium light plants that will grow like crazy and stay at the bottom (no floating!)? I was thinking anarchis, but not sure if it would root... I don't want any more anubias. I need to get this stuff tomorrow because I realized she has nothing to hide in. Silly me! I put a IAL in temporarily, but she is actually still cupped and just floating so she is warm.

So basically my plan is to attempt a 2 gallon cycled tank. With a ton of plants and the smallest betta I could find. I don't care if it has been done before, I am going to try it for myself. I have a master test kit so this fish will be fine with daily testing of ammonia and nitrite to make sure she is in safe water.

Tank 2 gallon glass drum bowl.

Heated.

Lighting: next to window, small lamp.

Current plants: Marimo Moss ball, duckweed, lucky bamboo.

Creatures: Planeria, shrimp(?), worms, one snail.

No other filtration.

My starting test results (pre fish) are:

Ammonia Test: .00 ppm

PH Test: 7.6 (that is just the water here. )

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: 10 ppm

Sorry for the horrible pictures. :(

Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

New pictures with new plants! Added anarchis and java fern (not burried, though it kind of looks like it in the pictures). I will test the water later tonight, but she is still cupped for a few more hours so I will consider it another no fish reading. She ate like a champ last night and is super active and personable. Very pleased so far!

She is probably thinking: "I see so many noms! Why are you keeping me in this cup evil lady!"
Old 10-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #3 
Sweeda88

It looks nice! I want to plant my 10 gallon tank eventually. I'd love it to look half as pretty as yours. BTW, that PH is fine for a Betta. It's nothing to worry about!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:49 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

Thank you! Let's just hope that the whole thing doesn't melt on me! I really have embraced the planted tank. I don't think I could ever go back to fake now. Tanks with fake plants are fine, but with real it is like you have a little bit of nature in a bowl! But maybe that is just because my plants tend to come with way more little bugs and parasites that I could possibly even imagine.

I know it is fine for the PH, but back when I was living in Sacramento the PH was right around 6.8. Perfect IMO! Now even with tannins the PH is in the high 7s.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:08 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

Just want to say, is she going to be able to reach the surface to breathe with all that duckweed? I have the stuff in my planted tank and I know how quickly and densely it can cover the surface.

That being said, it looks beautiful. I love those drum-style bowls. Are they easy to get your hand in to clean?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #6 
Kytkattin

She is actually still cupped, but yes, there is too much duckweed. I will toss some in the boys tank later tonight when I put her in officially.

The duckweed thing is actually why drum bowls (or any bowl for that matter) are not as great for aquariums. They don't have enough surface space! I love the drum bowls because they are flat on the front and I can see my fish without it being distorted. I don't know why, but it bugs me when they look bigger/distorted. Just my pet peeve I guess. lol.
The 2 gallon is a breeze to clean, the 1 gallon, not as much. The other thing I don't like is that I can't light it easily, but I also am trying to keep this tank simple with only a heater. No additional lights! *eye twitch*
Old 10-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #7 
Kytkattin

Ammonia Test: .10 ppm

PH Test: 7.6

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 5.0ppm

1/3 tank water change.

Added fish.

Last edited by Kytkattin; 10-21-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:27 AM   #8 
Bombalurina

Hope she loves it! I would. Now I want a 3gal drum for my desk...
Old 10-22-2011, 05:47 AM   #9 
Kytkattin

I want a 3 or even 5 gallon drum... If you ever find one, or know a glass maker who produces them, PLEASE let me know. I will love you for ever and ever.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VERY-LARG...item27bf59d880. If only this was a drum, it seems pretty big. Dreadful advert for it, though.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drum-Fishbow...item3a6aace439 2.5 gallons
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cruzan-rum-f...item19c9d2120b - Again, not sure on the size but it seems pretty decent.

I know I've seen a 3.5 gallon bowl somewhere on ebay! Argh. I will find it.