Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #11 
Anitax3x

wow I want to do this SO BAD I'm excited to see how you do this! I have a 2.5 gal that I'd like to do this with! I'm def rootin for you ! btw how do you do water changes/cleaning with all the duckweed?
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #12 
Kytkattin

Let me know Bombalurina if you find a 3 gallon, or even better, a 4 or 5 gallon!

Anitax3x: I just accept that it is going to get EVERYWHERE, and some of it is going to get sucked out and thrown away. If I stick my hand in, it will come out covered. If I had known about frogbit before I bought duckweed I would have had that ordered instead. However, the cover is great, and you don't need to worry about lowing the water level to make room for them above the surface.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #13 
Anitax3x

hmm what is frogbit? I'm Just wondering and I have read up on some easy to care for plants, How about the grass people usually grow on the bottom of their tanks? would you know what that is and how it is kept?
Old 10-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #14 
Kytkattin

Ammonia Test: .10 ppm

PH Test: Will only test weekly.

Nitrite: 0.10 ppm

Nitrate: 5.0ppm

1/3 Water change.

Problems: When I stuck my hand in to fix a floating anarchis I noticed it seemed much too warm at the surface, but then it was cool near the bottom. There is no water circulation. Short of adding a pump, is there any way to get water circulation? Do I need circulation, or is this in fact a better duplication of nature where the sun warms the surface and the fish can go lower to get cool? The only thing that worries me is that it makes me wonder about my heater. I will keep an eye on it...

If I could have (not fallen in love with this little fish), I would have had the tank set up with all of the plants for about a month, giving them a chance to take root and remove toxins from the water faster before adding a fish. No going back now!
Old 10-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #15 
Kytkattin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitax3x View Post
hmm what is frogbit? I'm Just wondering and I have read up on some easy to care for plants, How about the grass people usually grow on the bottom of their tanks? would you know what that is and how it is kept?
It is surface growing, like duckweed, but it is much bigger. Someone else has it in their tank that just recently posted photos. It is just lovely, and I imagine it doesn't stick to you when you put your hand in the tank!

I personally don't have any grass like plant in my tank, but I think I know what you are talking about. There is a topic titled "Easy Care Plant Guide v.2" that should get you off on the right start. I currently have: duckweed, bamboo, anarchis, Marimo moss balls, java fern, and Christmas moss.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:03 AM   #16 
Anitax3x

Thanks I saw that I just was wondering because I didn't see that in there.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:05 AM   #17 
1983SS454

Frogbit is basically a larger duckweed, but easier to keep. It will also cover the entire surface if your not careful

The grass plants you speak of are Dwarf hairgrass and Microswords, both need decent light. I'm currently trying to carpet my tank with microswords
1983SS454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:29 AM   #18 
laughing

Whoohoo! See, fake plant people just don't understand us live plant people until they switch to the dark side! Mwahahahaha!

I want to point something out to you... Anacharis does NOT like ferts, especially excel. And your ferns/anubias would really love some liquid ferts. You should keep a close eye on the tank and consider this.

Without good lighting, the fern will turn brown and the anubias won't grow at all. I hope you get the lighting situation figured out!!

And... GOOD LUCK! I bet she loves it. I just bought a new plant. They're so addictive...
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:49 AM   #19 
Anitax3x

Thanks! More knowledge the better!
Old 10-23-2011, 12:54 AM   #20 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
I just bought a new plant. They're so addictive...
I wish someone had warned me of this before I started buying them. It started with java fern and anubias. I now have a 16 gallon with:
- java fern
- java moss
- anubias
- rotala wallachi
- lacefern
- ambulia
- dwarf hairgrass
- microsword
- violet (semi-aquatic)
- pennywort
- duckweed
- rush (plain and variagated)
- and a nice pale green one whose name escapes me right now.

Plus the java fern and sword in my 5 gallon. It has come to the point where I simply don't have another square inch of substrate left in which to plant something.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote