Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #1 
cherrybello

Tail biting... Very bad tail biting...

Mr Pinky has nearly no tail left! OMG! His tail was just beginning to grow out from his last episode of tail biting. I tried everything, including tannins, moving ornaments around, I even left a mirror beside the tank for him to look at... he's still biting! I came home from work today and saw that he had tore off more of his tail than yesterday. I am about to tear my hair out!! GAH!

The water parameters are normal (no nasties in the water, cycled tank), 5g, filtered and heated. Water is changed every week (50%), and using Stress coat to help with tail growing back.... well, that worked, until he started biting again. I also noticed that one of his...beards? is bent from something, it's not as straight as it used to be...It all started when I got him the Fish&Chip shop ornament... maybe I should try taking that out and replacing it with some different decor? Any advice?

Here's a pic of what he has recently done to his tail...
Attached Images

cherrybello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:48 AM   #2 
Luimeril

i'd take it out, see if that helps any. if it doesn't, then ya gotta think about other causes. such as, can he see any other bettas? how many plants does he have? ect.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #3 
Silverfang

*offers a sympathetic shoulder*
In some cases there is not much else you can do with a tail biter, but keep them in clean water and know you've done everything you can. Right now my only suggestion is not to leave him with a mirror all the time, just for a short period each day.
I've got one and I share your pain, mine just has the rot he developed clearing up.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #4 
Luimeril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
*offers a sympathetic shoulder*
In some cases there is not much else you can do with a tail biter, but keep them in clean water and know you've done everything you can. Right now my only suggestion is not to leave him with a mirror all the time, just for a short period each day.
I've got one and I share your pain, mine just has the rot he developed clearing up.
this. i have a tail biter right now, and i'm not trying to get him to stop. i'm just keeping his water clean, and keeping him happy. he seems to have stopped on his own, without me trying to get him to, so i'm pretty happy about that.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #5 
Silverfang

I honestly think they do it to tick off their owners, they like to mess with our heads.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #6 
nel3

too bad you cant scold them, id have done that a long time ago if it was so. my VT does that often enough. i dont stress out about it no more even when he does so after just starting healing. Nelliel stopped doing it and has been well behaved since. he was similar to your case once in severity. only a few hours after sundown and sleeping time as long i wasnt there by his side. i had to stay by him and avoid +3 hours between checking on him.

Last edited by nel3; 10-21-2011 at 10:36 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:53 PM   #7 
vaygirl

Logan bit off most of his tail recently and about half his dorsal, down to his body. It's growing back now but . Doesn't it make you crazy? He was healing up from a recent episode too.

Just keep things clean and don't stress over it. As long as there's no infection there isn't much to be done. I've started changing Logan's decor around every time I change his water. I was doing every other day 25% water changes with AQ salt for maybe 6 days? That seemed to help his dorsal heal a LOT. It's already about 5mm grown back.

It's so frustrating. I feel your pain!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:20 AM   #8 
cherrybello

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
Logan bit off most of his tail recently and about half his dorsal, down to his body. It's growing back now but . Doesn't it make you crazy? He was healing up from a recent episode too.
... he wants to look like a girl...?

I don't just have 1 tail biter, both of my VTs bite their tails, but I have to say this, Buddy, my other VT actually looks better with his tail a bit jagged :P my CT is very tame in that aspect, he probably can't reach his tail...

Last edited by cherrybello; 10-22-2011 at 03:23 AM.
cherrybello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:15 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Oh my. I don't have a tail biter luckily... even my friend was surprised the diva betta Crayola was not a tail biter... she owns him now... Has anyone tried to get them to interact with you (stop boredom a little?) or something?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #10 
Luimeril

Ichi bit his.... he looks like an odd CT now, with the anal and dorsal of an HM. it looks quite funny. xD i think he stopped, though, but i rearranged his tank around anyways. x: that used to stop Dante...