Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #1 
karendawne

what type of female is this?

I recently adopted this fish and wanted to know what kind you thought she was. I know females are hard to determine, but it sort of looked like a crown tail to me, but then it also looks like my half moon females so I guess I can't determine. I got it from one of the largest pet stores in Michigan but they had all their females in one tank, they raise their own bettas but I was surprised they didn't seperate their females by type.

Name:  IMG_5161.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  26.6 KB
Name:  IMG_5164.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  21.9 KB

Hopefully someone on here can help me,
thanks so much,
Karen
karendawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Definitely comb tail. Her extensions are not long enough to be crowntail. She is probably a platinum white or maybe marble.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:22 PM   #3 
Sena Hansler

I agree - looks like a comb tail! very pretty :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #4 
karendawne

Any idea on which tail type would be best to breed it with? I have a pretty crown tail, and a couple of beautiful HM and a veil tail. I think the crown tail (which has a blue irridescent color) and my blue mix HM would be the prettiest with that color. My other HM is pretty solid red , he's in my avitar.
Thanks for any input,
Karen
Old 10-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Well, combtail's from what I know you could breed HM or CT and get some pretty decent looking fry... Not sure about VT... Since VT is more dominant you may get more VT's than the combtail.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

IMO the genetic set up of comb tails is mainly non CT. So if you breed to CT you will have the same result as CT x HM (not sure - just my assumption). It would be safer to breed to a non CT. You should have a few comb tails in your batch.

You may get 1 or 2 balanced web reduction if you breed to CT, but most of them would have messy fins. IMO it would take you more than 1 generation to produce true CT.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #7 
Bambi

If you breed to a CT male you'll have combtails with a little bit more reduced webbing, and a few CT's maybe? Then just breed the fry with themost CT-like finnage backtothe father and you'll get more CT's.(So much like indjo said more then one generation will be needed. But, it's a fun project if you have the time :))

she looks like she has a nice green shine to her. :) I would breed her to the HM personally, but it depends on which you like better.

or, you could breed to a HM, and get some more combs and some delta's/halfmoons, again more generations will give you better finnage.
Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #8 
karendawne

I actually prefer the HM personally, so I may breed her to my HM. She does have an opalalecence (sp) to her, her color has a definite blue green iridescent sheen to her. She's really beautiful, I couldn't resist her but I thought I would try breeding her but wanted more expert advice. I've tried to look up the genetics but can't seem to find something I really understand LOL. Thanks for all your help,
Karen