Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #1 
chicagojo

Is this fin rot? Need someone more experienced to help me

We got Feathers II a little over a week and a half ago and for most of this time I thought the dark ends on his fins/tail were part of his coloring because his body is very dark as well and it didn't seem to be changing at all. When I compared the way he looks today to a pic of the way he looked the day we brought him home, though, I do think that maybe the dark part is slowly progressing and his bottom fin (sorry, I don't know the actual name for it) is looking a bit tattered.

I'm preparing water for a 100% water change with AQ salt and stress coat but meanwhile I wanted to get some other opinions because I'm sort of a new fish owner and don't really have much experience.

Please let me know if you think the first pic looks like a case of fin rot to you. The second pic is how he looked the day we got him - as you can see, it hasn't changed a whole lot but his bottom fit looks worse to me now than it did then. Further complicating matters is the fact that until a few days ago he had a plastic plant (which you can see in the 2nd pic) on which he could have torn his fin; that has since been replaced with the silk plant in the first photo. Sorry the pics are not of great quality and are huge; I am doing this on my phone.

BTW, I already realize his home is too small for him; I've ordered a bigger home and am waiting for it to arrive and meanwhile am doing frequent water changes (2x/wk)

I don't want to treat unnecessarily, but I also don't want to fail to treat either!

Thanks!
Attached Images

chicagojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:43 PM   #2 
Luimeril

that looks like mild fin rot. just keep up on the water changes to about every other day, and upgrade him as soon as you can. that's all i do. if you want, add a little aquarium salt to the first water change, but don't treat every single water change with it. it's a teaspoon per Gallon, premixed in a cup, add a little to his new water every now and then till it's gone.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #3 
chicagojo

Thanks. I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly. I have already premixed a solution of 1L of water with 1/2 tsp AQ salt and 5 mL of Nutrafin BettaMax. My original plan was to do the next water change into this solution, with 100% water change every day for the next 5-10 days but it sounds like maybe that is overkill? So are you saying I should just add a little bit of this solution as part of the next water change, and then continue to do that over time with water changes every other day? How much is a little, like what proportion of the new water that I'm putting in? Sorry for all the questions - I just don't want to screw up and make a relatively minor problem worse somehow.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #4 
chicagojo

anyone??? Thanks in advance...