Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #11 
MistersMom

my fishy died today too, so don't worry...
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #12 
Bombalurina

Is it possible to cure septicemia? I have a fish with a faint red line across his body like a vein. He seems totally fine, but seeing this worries me...

I'm very sorry for the loss of your fish. :( I've lost two in the past fortnight.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #13 
Indyfishy

Yes it is possible to cure septicemia with antibiotics like Maracyn II, but i don't think your fish has septicemia, all bettas have a vein that runs straight down their bodies, it's just more noticeable on some fish =)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #14 
Bombalurina

Phew, that's a relief! Thanks!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #15 
ChelseaK

Is my other fish in the split tank likely to be infected and just not showing signs yet? How is it contracted?
ChelseaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:25 PM   #16 
Indyfishy

Looking at the Betta Fish Disease and Treatment Part 2 thread, it says:

Septicemia(Red Streaks)
•Symptoms: Bloody red streaks across the body and/or fins, lethargic, loss of apetite, clamped, gasping for air, bloated, ulcers.
•Treatment: Septicemia is caused by an internal bacterial infection. From what I’ve read, it can be due to compromised digestion as a result of rapid drops in temperature. Since Nitrite poisoning can also cause red streaks, check for that first. I do not know if it can be treated conservatively as I have never tried. Though it is not contagious, isolate sick fish. Perform daily 100% water changes. Treat with API Tetracycline, API Erythromiacin, Mardel’s Maracyn II OR Jungle’s Fungus Clear/Eliminator. If you are treating with something that does not contain Metronidoxole then combine the treatment with Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets. During treatment, use 1tsp/gal Aq.Salt and Stress Coat (as directed on bottle) to help prevent secondary infections.
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #17 
youlovegnats

A note on QuICK cure/QuICK Fix.... look at the name guys, quICK <--
It's not a treatment for fin rot...it's for Ick only.
I'm sorry your little boy died Chelsea! :( I found this out. It doesn't seem to be contagious, which is good. :)

"Septicemia is an infection located in the bloodstream. It can occur when an open wound gets infected or as a result of consuming bacteria through food. It can present itself in many ways, some of which are more obvious then others. Commonly, septicemia will occur as a result of an injury or open wound. Just as it’s important that we keep our cuts clean when we injure ourselves, it is equally important to keep a fish’s water clean when they are injured. If your fish becomes wounded (hurts itself, or fights with another fish) make sure you increase your water changes and keep toxins at bay by testing ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.
Fish may also acquire symptoms by eating foods infected with bacteria. To reduce the chances of sepsis caused by food bourn pathogens use caution when feeding live and frozen foods. Only buy live foods like blackworms and tubifex worms from a reputable source and take care of them by washing them well daily. Consider growing your own cultures as an alternative to buying live foods. If you keep frozen foods, never refreeze them after they thaw and throw away any thawed food after one day.
Septicemia will often present itself as redness under the scales any where on the body. It can be concentrated in one area or appear throughout. It may appear more visible around the face. The discoloration is often impossible to detect in dark or red colored fish. Open wounds should be pinkish and usually heal quickly. A wound that is grey, black or fuzzy or has discoloration around the wound site might be infected and antibiotic treatment should be started. Septicemia sometimes shows up as a secondary infection to Popeye, an infection that leads to the bulging of one or both eyes. On occasion, it may lead to Dropsy. Other symptoms may also present themselves in the form of sluggishness, loss of appetite, clamped fins or color loss. Observe your fish daily so you can learn to recognize his normal behavior and be able to tell if he is acting out of sorts.

Usually when treating fish illnesses I recommend antibiotics be used sparingly but in the case of septicemia, I strongly suggest starting with them. The bacteria in the blood can quickly overcome a fish and antibiotic treatment is usually the quickest and most effective method for treatment. Most aquarium antibiotics are designed to dissolve in the tank water where they are absorbed by the fish, but because this is an internal bacterial infection this type is often ineffective. I recommend a medicated fish food like Jungle Anti-Bacteria Medicated Fish Food. I have also successfully treated septicemia by soaking pellets in a concentrated mixture of Mardel’s Maracyn & Maracyn-Two. I chop up the amount I would use to treat the tank, add a few drops of water and soak a few pellets for 10 minutes. I then feed the fish and add the pre-measured mixture to the tank as directed. This method isn’t fool proof, for one, there is no way to measure exactly how much of the antibiotic they are consuming. All I can say is it worked well for my betta. Loss of appetite can commonly afflict fish with an infection so it’s important to medicate as soon as possible while the fish is still eating. If the fish will no longer eat, then the standard method of adding the antibiotic to the tank should be employed. Because the average hobbyist has no way of determining the type of bacteria that has infected the fish, I suggest a combination of wide spectrum antibiotics that treat both gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria. Some effective medications include,
Mardel’s Maracyn and Maracyn-Two in combination
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals’ Triple Sulfa
Kanamycin Sulfate is also very effective, especially for fish that won’t eat."

link = http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/septicemia-infection/

Last edited by youlovegnats; 10-26-2011 at 03:34 PM.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #18 
ChelseaK

Thank you SOO much for all the info! I really appreciate it. I still can't exactly pinpoint what happened to Uno though, but he may have had a wound I didn't know about. I often check temperatures and I didn't ever see any changes, but that doesn't mean there weren't any. He also hasn't had anything but pellets for a long time, and all the other fish eat the same thing, I haven't noticed any symptoms in them, yet that is. I'm glad it's not contagious but I just wish I knew exactly how he contracted his illness..

Thanks so much for the help!!
Old 10-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #19 
youlovegnats

^_^ I'm glad I could help.
You mentioned that his fins were shredding right? Maybe he had an open blood vessel from his fins and then it got infected that way?
It's definitely not impossible.
Again, I'm so sorry for your loss! :(
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:12 PM   #20 
ChelseaK

It must work fast then! That's scary. Thank you again!