Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #11 
MistersMom

once again, i found that information on Google, and for certain bettas those may be fine tank mates... maybe yours is too agressive, or any thing else, but i have heard of people on here housing quite a few of there fish with some of those mentioned species... i didnt acknoledge the tanks size, or algea amount, i just mentioned what will go with bettas, period. i had no clue though that Gouramis were in relation to bettas, that was new to me... im glad i found that out for future reference...
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #12 
diablo13

What I think you may not understand, with Mollies and Bettas it isn't an aggresion issue, they live in completely different types of water. It's like putting a Clownfish with a Betta.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #13 
MistersMom

THAT would be AWESOME!!!! no, i get it, it slipped my mind.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #14 
diablo13

Thanks for understanding :)
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #15 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
once again, i found that information on Google, and for certain bettas those may be fine tank mates... maybe yours is too agressive, or any thing else, but i have heard of people on here housing quite a few of there fish with some of those mentioned species...
For any bettas cichlids are never fine. Bettas are not the problems in those tanks. Its that cichlids are big and angry. One of the LFS I go to has a tank with red devil cichlid (I think--at the least it was a cichlid of some sort) and they had signs on the tank that said please don't touch the tank or stare at the tank because these fish will charge the glass. I'm sure this was a more extreme case but still I wouldn't want a fish like that with my betta, especially if my betta was peaceful.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #16 
bahamut285

Oh thank god you shows up Amy, I was going to lose it in this thread, XD!

+1000 to Amy. Regardless of how awesome Google is, I wouldn't trust it completely over something like this.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

Wow! I'll try not to ever stare at any cichlids. I wouldn't want any mad at me. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #18 
cajunamy
Banned

OMG @ that cichlid! That's crazy!

Unfortunately MistersMom, you can't rely on google all the time, you have to do much research on any species to find the correct info.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:04 PM   #19 
Bombalurina

My picks for betta tankmates in a ten gallon:
- pygmy cories
- ember tetras
- shrimp

I'd always go embers over neon tetras. Neons are larger and more active and I don't trust them not to nip. Embers are so chilled, they'll sometimes just stay still in the water for a few minutes, gossiping with the other tetras. :) They are entirely peaceful, totally non-nippy and very pretty. They develop a lovely black edge on their dorsal fin.
I have ten in my sorority and they all get on really well with my girls, even at feeding time. I think the girls are like, "What? No way something that small is even a fish!"

On the cichlid note, I do know someone who successfully housed an angelfish and a betta together (with male fancy guppies, no less) with no issues, but it was the stupidest combination I have ever seen and it should never have worked. Definitely don't try this at home, kids.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #20 
vaygirl

It's true about Red Devils. My best friend had one for 12 years or so and he would bite the glass if you laid your hand on the tank. He would also charge and bite. He was scary. Neat, but scary.

If you decide to go wiith corys, wait a while. The tank should be established and cycled before adding any. They can be sensitive. The same goes for shrimp. Though, like Misters originally said in her post, they can easily be eaten by your betta.

Last edited by vaygirl; 10-21-2011 at 07:22 PM.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote