Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2011, 12:51 AM   #1 
Sakura8

Betta Article In Fish Magazine

I got my newest issue of Aquarium Fish International and they had a few articles about keeping bettas. I was pleased to see that in the main article they talked about how bettas need heaters and more space than a vase. Yay! I get so tired of even fish experts saying bettas don't need heaters. But I laughed because the articles say females really can't be kept together. One article said "people have claimed success" and another discouraged it altogether. Haha, so someone needs to tell my sorority they can't live together.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #2 
dew

Yay!

It's great that more and more people are seeing the light.
dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #3 
betta lover1507

yea they should write saying females can't be kept together where all 3 my female live together
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #4 
tpocicat

My 4 females seem to be doing quite well together!
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #5 
purplemuffin

It's alright, I'd honestly have people wary of keeping girls together than have them toss in 5 in a one gallon tank. :) The beginners shouldn't always be keeping sororities anyway, they are too difficult. If they start to keep bettas and get experience and knowledge, they will probably found out for themselves through research that it is possible and will still learn to keep them together. But hey, it prevents newbie mistakes O_O
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:33 PM   #6 
SnowySurface

That areticle is kind of right. If you only have two females, then a sorority isn't going to work. But if you have 5 or more, then the females can live together. If you take into account the occasional female who is too agressive for a sorority, then female bettas can't be kept together with 100% success. It would take skill to set up a sorority properly. It's not like you can toss 7 female bettas into a 20 gallon tank that doesn't have any hiding places and expect success.

Too bad the article doesn't explain it that way. They make it sound like females together in any number would be bad. Females can be kept together if you do it right. But it does get a cookie for mentioning heaters and space. :)
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #7 
Bombalurina

I will hopefully be doing a speech to the local aquarium society this year or next year about sororities. So at least my city fish nerds will know the truth! :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #8 
Sakura8

Purple, I agree. Only people who've had bettas for a while should even consider a sorority. It's just funny to see it put so bluntly in black print while my girls swim around happily.

Yay, Bombalurina! You tell it like it is. :)
Old 10-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #9 
diablo13

It's nice that people finally know their stuff :) I hope I can do a sorority, you guys make it sound really hard.......
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:25 PM   #10 
Sakura8

Diablo, any time you put a group of potentially aggressive girls together, it's hard. :D Girls are scary in groups. o.O