Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #1 
Ajones108

Help - Freshwater Ich

Things always happen when I get busy for two week straight with school. I let my 5g go on a little too long without a full water change (I did a partial last week but I don't think it helped).

I know it's ich and I know the symptoms and signs. Poor guy is miserable, he's slamming himself into his castle very frequently.

I don't want to dose up with malachite green yet but I AM starting him in one of my 5g WC buckets with fresh clean heated water. I was wondering, will AQ salt take care of the ich if used very liberally for a few days, and then if it persists dose up with malachite green? Or just keep going with AQ salt? Thanks. :)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:31 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

With Bettas I like to do the two cup method for Ich...with or without aquarium salt and/or raising the temp...it all depends on how bad it is....

Use 2 small containers and move him to the new container each day-rinse the old one and let it sit dry until ready to use the next day....this will help ensure any parasites in the container dehydrate and die....

Salt can help kill some of the parasites if they are not salt resistant, however, with heavy infestation I like to use salt for secondary infection that may have resulted from self injury (flashing) and/or due to wounds left by the parasite once it detaches from the fish-I usually don't use salt when it only a minor infestation...

Heat-this will help speed the parasite life cycle and get them to fall off faster and in temps over 86F they will stop reproducing, however, sometimes the high heat can stress the fish more than the parasite....this too depends on how bad the infestation or number of Ich on the fish....

Treatment should continue for 3 days Past the last day you could see any parasites on the Betta..often they will hide in the gills and the extra 3 days usually will ensure those are gone too.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #3 
Ajones108

Visibly his condition isn't bad but his flashing is horrendous. Since he's ramming into the castle near his gills it makes me believe it's more internal in his gills than external. What I'll do is put him in the 5g bucket tonight and flush his gravel and decor with some malachite green, then let the tank sit out and dry, and move him back into it tomorrow. Continue this way until his condition is better.

Sounds good? :)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote