Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #1 
helms97

Question cat litter?

i was on youtube and there was a video of a guy who uses cat litter as his substrate for the aquarium, it looked nice and would be cheaper, can i really use it instead of sand or gravel?
helms97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #2 
fishman12

No. Definitely not if it's clay.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #3 
Leeniex

I've heard it done with non-clumping, non-scented litter.
Leeniex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #4 
fishman12

You'd have to clean it like sand, and probably soak it for awhile.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #5 
Silverfang

it is possible, I believe OFL has done it, but I think it's tricky, should ask her.
Silverfang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:35 AM   #6 
Pitluvs

With owning fish there are certain things you need to spend money on. $5-6 for a one time purchase of substrate shouldn't break the bank, and it if does, you're in the wrong hobby :) Sand is more cheaper than cat litter, and proven to be quite safe. Why would someone use cat litter?!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #7 
helms97

Yeah you are right im just sick of blue and red rock and wanted to try something new
helms97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:02 AM   #8 
Littlebittyfish

I believe it was OFL that used it ? There was a post not to long ago about it and I suggested it may need to be rinsed first...But that would be a horrible idea because it clumps and such..haha...The catlitter seems like more work than its worth. Especially when there are other alternatives..Do you have live plants? If so, you could do a soil cap with topsoil...or use poolfilter sand or pea gravel found in garden stores. I currenly have peagravel in my tanks, but I am switching back to sand soon. The pea gravel was only 3.50 for a 20 pound bag. Poolfilter sand is about 15 dollars for a 50 pound bag.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #9 
EverythingNice55

I don't think so. I suggest that you do not try it.
EverythingNice55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Not all kitty litter is created equal.....you only want to use the kind that is just the clay no added scent control or anything....the plain red generic bag of clay kitty litter at walmart is what I used.....

Using 100% kitty litter was a mess when you needed to pull a plant or re-plants something...so I did a mix....25% kitty litter to 75% dirt and this helped a lot...the clay kitty litter is mostly Iron.....I now use clay balls that I make from local red clay in my yard....I roll up balls and sit them in the sun to dry and then cram them into the substrate around my root feeders...works better than the kitty litter IMO..and they don't cause a cloud that can be a real mess....lol.....

You don't want to rinse it...you have to use or mix it with the soil dry and once it is in the tank you can wet it...

I don't rinse any of the substrate I use for my NPT......I place the soil and sand or gravel cap...fill-drain-repeat until clear.....if you try to rinse substrates used for NPT you will just make a mess.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote