Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #11 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Not all kitty litter is created equal.....you only want to use the kind that is just the clay no added scent control or anything....the plain red generic bag of clay kitty litter at walmart is what I used.....

Using 100% kitty litter was a mess when you needed to pull a plant or re-plants something...so I did a mix....25% kitty litter to 75% dirt and this helped a lot...the clay kitty litter is mostly Iron.....I now use clay balls that I make from local red clay in my yard....I roll up balls and sit them in the sun to dry and then cram them into the substrate around my root feeders...works better than the kitty litter IMO..and they don't cause a cloud that can be a real mess....lol.....

You don't want to rinse it...you have to use or mix it with the soil dry and once it is in the tank you can wet it...

I don't rinse any of the substrate I use for my NPT......I place the soil and sand or gravel cap...fill-drain-repeat until clear.....if you try to rinse substrates used for NPT you will just make a mess.....
^^
Keep that bag in mind if your lawn/flower beds/flower pots drain water too quickly. Its the cheapest commercially available clay out there and comes in a handy spreadable form.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote