betta fish

Old 10-21-2011, 07:49 PM   #1 
lapinenoir

Unhappy Is he sick, or am I paranoid?

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gal.
What temperature is your tank? 78*-80*
Does your tank have a filter? Yes.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No, the filter seems to do a good job of getting air through, but I could be wrong.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None. Just him right now.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets - New Life Spectrum
How often do you feed your betta fish? I, admittedly, have been overfeeding him. I'd feed him maybe 4-6 pellets per feeding, twice a day. I had no idea that it was too much until today. The instructions on the package said to give him as much as he could consume in a few minutes, so I went for it. Stupid, I know...

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every other day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50%, but today I did more like 95% because his water was cloudy and he seemed irritated.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I had been adding Seachem Prime and Seachem stability, since I was trying to establish the tank.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I only tested ammonia.

Ammonia: 0 ppm

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes, a little bit. His fins have a slight pinkish/bloody hue near the tips.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He seems a little lethargic/ depressed today.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I didn't want to risk harsh treatment in case he was fine. I did a 95% water change, but that's all.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Maybe a few months? I got him at Petco recently.

My halfmoon seems a bit lethargic and depressed. I noticed that his water kept getting cloudier since I brought him home (about 2 weeks ago). I thought it was the Stability doing it's work, so I ignored it. I kept testing for Ammonia and it came up as 0ppm each day, so I continued assuming Stability was doing it's job. But today I noticed that my betta wasn't his usual self. He still swam up to eat his food, like normal, but he spat out a few pellets (which was very unlike him) and only kept about half down. I saw that the tank was looking dingy, so I scooped out the particles of waste on the bottom (he has no substrate right now. Also, just to let you know, I usually scoop out the waste on a daily basis, so it wasn't sitting in there all week or anything like that.) and decided to do a water change. I had already done one the night before, but I thought it couldn't hurt to try to clear the water up. It didn't do all that much. I thought it wouldn't hurt to try Seachem Clarity (since I was a fan of their other products). Unfortunately, Clarity really seemed to agitate my betta! I quickly removed him and did a 95% water change. In his shallow water changing bowl, I saw that his fins had a sort of pinkish/red/blood~ish (barely detectable) color to them when they were usually pearly/translucent white (His normal color is almost exactly like this: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...e/DSCF0010.jpg). I thought it may have happened while I was netting him, since he did thrash around a bit, but I'm really not sure.

As far as behavior, I noticed that he is hiding a lot more. He'll go out for a quick swim around the tank and then hide again. He also goes between having his fins slightly clamped and holding them normally. He'd been gulping/yawning under the water quite a bit, even after my water change (I did use a correct dose of Prime to make the water safe).

I know I'm probably overlooking something, since I don't have a full test kit. But does it seem like something I should be very concerned about/ medicating? Or should I just keep his water spotless and hope he recovers on his own? Maybe hold off on food for a day or two, since I have clearly been overfeeding him? I'm kind of hoping he's just tired from being so full and that the pinkish fins were minor irritations from netting him... His fins seem to be in perfect order besides the discoloration. No fin rot, beautiful and full, no tears at all.

Also wanted to note some of his normal behavior; he is still coming up to greet me (assuming that I have food), coming up to the surface easily to gulp air, and flaring at his reflection in the mirror.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by lapinenoir; 10-21-2011 at 07:56 PM.
lapinenoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #2 
lapinenoir

Anyone? :(
Old 10-22-2011, 02:41 AM   #3 
Pataflafla

Keep a close eye on the pink, but if it turns into red streaks treat with either aquarium salt or a medication that deals with septicemia. I don't think he's sick since he's still behaving somewhat normal according to you.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #4 
lapinenoir

Thank you! I'll keep an eye on him. He's totally awake today and swimming around pretty normally. No signs of clamped fins or anything. He's still sticking to his area with the driftwood, but yesterday was pretty crazy for him (a really obnoxious family member came to stay w/us and he was loud all night). I think he was just nervous/ resting from being overfed. He looks pretty good today!
Old 10-22-2011, 02:18 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

He might have been stressed from the noise, which fish can hear if it's loud enough. Water puts a damper on most noises.

It might take him a bit to feel comfortable in a 10 gallon. He might be one of those bettas that prefer not so much room, as they do exist. I'd give him some time though.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote