Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2011, 11:36 PM   #1 
thePWNISHER

Black Beard Algae

Not really sure if it is what I have or not. basically the Angustfolia and the Anubias have black spots growing on them with a little bit of purple/reddish hair algae. Is this the dreaded BBA? If so I don't have room for an SAE being a 10g so I was wondering what else would work besides the task of pruning and dipping plants?
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

If it is BBA, it will turn into a relatively cute looking black fur - long fur, but not long like hair algae. Think cat fur. Anyway.
The best way to deal with it is get hold of some Flourish Excel and a 1ml baby syringe. Turn your filter off and remove any activated carbon. Use the syringe to spot-treat the algae with the Excel. Leave the filter off for an hour afterwards.
Within a few days you should see it shrinking, turning red and dying right off. :) I used to have a huge amount on my anubuias and this deals with it really well. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:36 AM   #3 
thePWNISHER

good to know. It appears like black felt spots. My amano shrimp and otos actually remove the spots and a darker green spot remains where the black spot once was. It seems to be an on going cycle of removal and resurfacing. I do have some purplish/red hair like algae that i am uncertain about that is a cause for concern because I have not seen any of my algae eaters picking at it.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote