Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2011, 02:48 AM   #1 
Tikibirds

Question Causes of bent spine?

So one of my girls seems to be having some type of issue. It kinda looks like the back end of her spine is in a mild S (well, more like a C) shape and she is slightly listing to one side. it also looks like she is skimming the top of the tank with her mouth for air. Could she of gotten injured from one of the other girls or is there some actual disease that causes this? I think TB can cause bent spine but I really don't think that is the issue. I don't see anything else wrong or any physical changes other then stress stripes

I took her out of the girls tank and out her in a 1 gallon to keep a better eye on her. 1 gallon is NOT heated but the sorority is - about 80F
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:18 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

Unhappy

On closer inspection it seems her upper lip is gone Mouth rot??
I added AQ salt and quick cure but i have no idea of that will help. The active ingredient is malachite green.

is this contagious?
Old 10-22-2011, 11:11 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

I wuld float her in the tank to keep a good temperature. Upper lip is gone? could she have gotten into a scat with another female? I've got a male whose side of his face plate...part is missing. Bent spine can be from three things usually... internal problems, external (fight, something landing on her, she jumped out, got stuck beneath something...), and genetic.
For the upper lip problem, could you post a picture? if you can. Is there signs of different coloration in that area? any cotton like fluff?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:02 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

She passed away sometime yesterday :(

Her upper lip was gone, it was hard to see and hard top get a pic of. It kinda looked greyish but when she got stressed she turned that ugly olive shade.

I am kinda concerned of what killed her since she lived with other girls.

I wonder if it was columnaris, as I have read that can rot away the mouth and fins.