Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2011, 10:19 AM   #1 
trioadastra

New tank from old window?

Hello all. I wanted to embark upon the project of building a tank with some old windows I have from a remodel. The problem is, it appears to be pretty thin glass, maybe 2-3 mm. All the calculators and such I can find start out with a large size and 6mm, and seem to be for unbraced tanks. I was planning on bracing mine on the top and bottom, probably like a store bought tank but with cross bars on top and maybe plywood bottom as well. The window size is 24x15, and I wanted maybe 15" deep. I also contemplated doubling up the panes with the storm windows, although that would diminish the view...I have no idea how big I can go, anyone had any luck with this?
trioadastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

You might have better luck with this question at our sister/parent site tropicalfishkeeping.com. There are a few DIYers around here, but I have never heard of anyone trying out what you are thinking of doing. Please post pictures of your results and keep us updated!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Personally....I wouldn't build a tank from the window pane glass any bigger than 1gal...maybe 2gal at most...its not thick enough to withstand the water pressure for anything much bigger and you still would be taking a risk and I would strongly recommend that you do lots of research on the type of glass that is used to build tanks....its a lot different that window pane glass...that glass would be great to build something like a terrarium for marginal plants, frogs...etc.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #4 
trioadastra

Will do, thanks.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #5 
trioadastra

I finally did find a great calculator to use:http://www.fnzas.org.nz/?page_id=1635