Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #1 
Bombalurina

Save my 5 gallon

Hello all

My Apollo very sadly passed last night after a period of odd lethargy but no other symptoms. I have no idea what killed him but I feel like a murderer all the same.
The point of this thread is, though, that my mother wants me to break down his 5 gallon. I understand her viewpoint:
- Apollo was a rescue and having the 5 gallon was only supposed to be til I found him another home (which in the end I couldn't because he had recurring fin rot issues)
- the tank is in the kitchen, taking up her space
- she doesn't want it in my bedroom again, because it has to sit on the floor (no room on any surfaces)
- it is her house, and I love and respect her and want to do as she asks

My problem is, I hate the thought of getting rid of it. Yes, I'd still have my gorgeous sorority in my bedroom, but to empty his tank and put it all away just feels so final. If I could put another betta in it I wouldn't feel so upset at losing Apollo; his legacy would live on and he wouldn't be gone forever. Yes, it's silly and sentimental, but I feel incredibly guilty over his death and miss him like crazy. Another betta in the tank would help a lot. I feel like breaking the tank down would be killing him twice.

Sigh. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense when I read it back, but that's more or less what I feel. Tomorrow I am taking a friend out to get their first betta. After losing Apollo today it is going to be torture, but I know if I could be looking for me as well it wouldn't be so horrendous. Even if I could keep the tank running as a shrimp breeding tank it would be better.

Can anyone think of a way that I could convince my mother to let me keep the 5 gal going?
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #2 
ksage505

Is there any other place in the house that you could keep it to where it wouldn't be in her way? I've seen some people even keep tanks on the bathroom counter, if you have your own bathroom that is. Could you clear out some surface space in your room? I've always managed to move things around or throw away some old things to make some space for an aquarium. Negotiate with her and maybe ask if she can think of a good place to keep it. I would tell her what you just told us. Let her know, if you haven't already, that its important to you and you really enjoy your fish!
ksage505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #3 
Thunderloon

I'd never keep aquariums in the kitchen at any time, nor near washing machines or showers. Anything in the air will settle into the water inside and just about everything that comes in a can, bottle, box or tube is toxic to fish in some form or another.

If you can smell it, it gets in the water.

Rule #1. Whenever you have a fish die in a tank from unnatural causes and cannot determine the cause, assume the worst: break it down, sterilize - cleanse - dispose and then let the tank sit empty upside down for a couple months before using it again.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:06 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

"I'd never keep aquariums in the kitchen at any time, nor near washing machines or showers. Anything in the air will settle into the water inside and just about everything that comes in a can, bottle, box or tube is toxic to fish in some form or another.

If you can smell it, it gets in the water.

Rule #1. Whenever you have a fish die in a tank from unnatural causes and cannot determine the cause, assume the worst: break it down, sterilize - cleanse - dispose and then let the tank sit empty upside down for a couple months before using it again. "

We don't use any sprays or anything in the kitchen. The only thing I can ever smell is the food we cook or the beer my dad brews. He's not in the kitchen per se, we have an open plan kitchen/living room thing, and he's on the living room side of the kitchen bench, next to the goldfish.
Do I have to break it down? :( I keep shrimp in there. I will if it's the best thing to do, but sadly if I do I won't be allowed to start it back up again until I leave home in three years time.

"Is there any other place in the house that you could keep it to where it wouldn't be in her way? I've seen some people even keep tanks on the bathroom counter, if you have your own bathroom that is. Could you clear out some surface space in your room? I've always managed to move things around or throw away some old things to make some space for an aquarium. Alas, my bedroom has two floor-to-ceiling bookcases, so it can't go on one of those. I do have a chest of drawers, but my CD player/ipod dock is on top of that, and I don't think I can fit it anywhere else due to plug issues.
My bathroom would be safe as neither my sister nor I use any sprays or anything (the sink is totally seperate from the bath/shower room - it's a 3-way bathroom), but I'd never be able to convince my sister to let me put the tank on the counter, even if it was on my side. I'm also not sure it would fit - it's a pretty tiny counter.

Negotiate with her and maybe ask if she can think of a good place to keep it. I would tell her what you just told us. Let her know, if you haven't already, that its important to you and you really enjoy your fish! "

I don't think my mum would understand. She gets my attachment to my rats, but she isn't a fish person and doesn't get how much I value them (typical fish lover story, hey? ). She will think the reasoning I've given here is very silly, and I can't really blame her, because it is really wishy-washy.

Sorry, I'm not trying to shoot down your wonderful points!
Old 10-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #5 
ksage505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I don't think my mum would understand. She gets my attachment to my rats, but she isn't a fish person and doesn't get how much I value them (typical fish lover story, hey? ). She will think the reasoning I've given here is very silly, and I can't really blame her, because it is really wishy-washy.

Sorry, I'm not trying to shoot down your wonderful points!
My family is the same, sigh. I mean my mom is great she will listen to me babble about them and she pays for fish things every now and then. Sometimes she will also pick up meds for me if one is sick. She of course thinks I'm crazy though for being so interested in them.

Hmm..I guess the only thing I can really think of is just coming up with another place to keep it, but that isn't seeming likely =/

Good luck!
Old 10-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksage505 View Post
My family is the same, sigh. I mean my mom is great she will listen to me babble about them and she pays for fish things every now and then. Sometimes she will also pick up meds for me if one is sick. She of course thinks I'm crazy though for being so interested in them.

Hmm..I guess the only thing I can really think of is just coming up with another place to keep it, but that isn't seeming likely =/

Good luck!
Wow! I wish my mum didn't mind me babbling about them :p. I can babble at my dad, as long as I don't expect a response, but not at my mum. And as for paying for fish stuff...well, it's a good thing I have a job. :p Although in between petrol, rats and fish it doesn't go far!

On the plus side, my dad doesn't want the tank to go (I can't get the image out of my head of a white halfmoon in it!), but I'm not sure we'll be able to prevail upon the Managing Director of Domestic Affairs. Worth a shot, though. Thanks for the good wishes!
Old 10-22-2011, 04:22 AM   #7 
Bombalurina

Best news ever! I went shopping with my guitar teacher and his family today to buy their first ever betta (lovely blue and red crowntail) and fell in love with a gold/white halfmoon in there. I was describing it to the family over dinner (not as a plea to get him, just talking about him because my teacher nearly bought him instead), and my mother said I could go back and get him tomorrow!!! :D
Old 10-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #8 
ksage505

YAY! Hope he will still be there for you!
Old 10-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

He should be, since he's a halfmoon he costs $30. :p I won't bring him home until I've done what I can to treat the tank without harming my shrimp, but I will reserve him so no one else wanders out with him.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #10 
ksage505

Wow o.o $30? Australian fish must be expensive. In the US pet stores they're usually around $10-12.