Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #1 
Carribiangirl559

Exclamation Sick?

Ok my boyfriend and I are new to fish (we have a snapping turtle that we have kept successfully). We decided on bettas because we liked their attitudes and their beauty. We bought nataku a week ago and he seemed irratated in a smaller tank (2 gallons) so my boyfriend put him in a 10 gallon tank with a fake tree and he seemed vert happy and lively. Last night he boutght him a heater and we raised the tanks water temp to around 75f (mostly because the room we have them in is really cold). His tank was already at this temperature, but we needed the heat lamp back for our title. We was fine when we put the new heater and filter in. When we woke up in the morning to feed our animals he was at the surface, lucid, had white spots on his head, and his eyes appeared bigger. He wouldn't eat the food we normally feed him and he went into the tree and wouldn't come out. I managed to get him out from the tree and I did a total water change and took the filter out . He seems a little better, but he's still laggy and I'm worried about the white spots. The only additive we use is to make tap water safe. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (also my betta seems fine.. He's in a smaller tank and we use the same water treatment and food).
Carribiangirl559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:13 AM   #2 
Indyfishy

I can't say for sure what's wrong with your little guy, but I'll give this a bump so hopefully someone will see it =)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:17 AM   #3 
Carribiangirl559

Thank you! We put him in an Epsom bath and it seems to have helped a little. He has a white patch on his underside now and is bloated and was kinda swimming sideways. Were really worried about his eyes though because they are kinda navy blueish and cloudy. He also has some white in his tail fins (I'm sorry there's no photo, but he's very camera shy.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #4 
Indyfishy

Hmm is the 10 gallon he was in brand new???
Old 10-23-2011, 12:33 AM   #5 
Carribiangirl559

It used to house our snapper, but we changed him to a new tank 2 months ago and cleaned and sterilized this one (he's been in this tank for over a week now)
Old 10-23-2011, 12:38 AM   #6 
Indyfishy

How long had the 10 gallon sat dry before your betta was added in??? Did you cycle the tank??
Old 10-23-2011, 12:40 AM   #7 
Carribiangirl559

It was dry for 3 weeks and yes we did.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:45 AM   #8 
Indyfishy

Hmm sounds like you did everything right. For now, keep him in epsom salt, 1 teaspoon per gallon, and keep him in a small container that can be floated in the the tank to maintain temperature. Change his water 100% daily while he's in the container. With the cloudy eyes and the swollen belly, it sounds like an internal infection of some sort, but the white fins have me stumped.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:47 AM   #9 
Carribiangirl559

Thank you so much
Old 10-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #10 
Carribiangirl559

Thank you for your help, sadly he died during the night

Tags
sick betta