Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #1 
Thesharpestlives

Exclamation My agressive Little guy..*sigh*

Well..i recently got a 5 gallon tank :D YAY!!! my little zipper seems to be LOVING it! only problem is..im wanting to add a tank mate...as an experiment to see how agressive zipper would be towards a potential tank mate..i toke a peice of fishing line, affixed it to a light colored, small fake fish..and dropped it into his tank..making it slightly move..and being the little hellfish he is..he went ballistic on it..picking it up and shaking his head like a rabid dog -.- i still want a tank mate..and have been considering shrimp or an african dwarf frog..will he kill these New friends if i place them in the tank?? o.o
Thesharpestlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

I do not recommend shrimp. They'll be a snack =D he sounds like my Sasuke.. mean little guy. I've got each betta to their own accord... Spartan is the anything-goes, Sasuke is the nothing-but-maybe-a-snail-that's-bigger-if-lucky, Madame the snail murderer cannot have anything, Maine the bully, El Dorado the anything-goes...

If you know your betta, you'll know how compatible. :) some of mine shouldn't be with shrimp, but a snail is fine. So... you gotta use your discretion :) Be aware African Dwarf Frogs like to be in twos or more, plus I had one who munched on my poor betta's tail.

Some bettas sadly are just deemed the nothing-fish.. meaning there is nothing you can add >< other than plants and ornaments.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #3 
Thesharpestlives

hm...Mabye just did another test using my brothers toy frog..about 2'5 inches long..and besides a lil nipping...and a genreal curiosity..Zipper left it alone :D i may get a frog or 2..with caution o.o....snails kinda gross me out >.< Maybe a can get a panda cory cat?
Old 10-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #4 
Yaoilover12397

5 gallons is to small for other fish. your best off with a snail for such a small tank
Yaoilover12397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #5 
Thesharpestlives

hmm...are you sure? o.o :/ to be honest...i was quite excited about the prospect of getting 2 panda cory cats...is it too small for a couple of danios? or a few Tetras?
Old 10-22-2011, 01:18 PM   #6 
Yaoilover12397

With Bettas it's a bad idea to get tank mates who ar fish in anything under a ten gallon. ADF will most likely get hurt. Snail is your best option here.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #7 
Thesharpestlives

oh...:/ *sigh* Well, its nice to be informed at least before risking his life :) or the others fishies life at least..i may just get 2 or 3 ghost shrimp.snails are an option..but..snails gross me out >.<!!!
Old 10-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #8 
Yaoilover12397

try the shrimp. They may get eaten though. Snails are your best bet but you don't have to get one.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #9 
Thesharpestlives

well...(not trying to sound cruel but..) Ghost shrimp a pretty cheap from what ive heard..so i think i will try the shrimp :) if he starts to nip at them too much..i have a one gallon i can temporarily put them in till i re-home them.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #10 
Thesharpestlives

on that note however...what about if i get the frog? will they have enough room in a five gallon tank with my betta? i go by the 1 inch of fish per one gallon rule.my fish is 2.5 inches..so i have a little room to spare.