Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #11 
Sena Hansler

The inch per gallon rule is bogus. I wouldn't shove a 5 inch goldfish in a 5 gallon tank.

Think of the bioload. Frogs are actually good by themselves in a 5 gallon... Should be with 1 or more frogs... And in that small of space may feel threatened and will not go up for air... And will go for your betta's fins.
The bioload, depends on the critter. Apple snail (had one) produces more waste than a mystery snail. A goldfish more than a betta.
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #12 
Thesharpestlives

very very well put :) i think ima get a few shrimpies :) small bioload..and very cute :D if not that...i guess none at all? :( i heard neon tetras do well with bettas..but..:/
Thesharpestlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

Yes neons are but they need groups of 4-6 minimum and lots of room to roam (usually a 20 is recommended for their energetic ways). I've had 4 danios and Spartan in my 10 no problems... But Spartan's my anything-goes fish. I've found danios don't chew up a betta like some tetras, or like barbs.
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #14 
Thesharpestlives

just rechecked the size of the tank by calling up the women i bough it from...turns out her daughter mis- informed me..its an 8 gallon. :D!!! (I thought it seemed a bit bigger then 5 gallons..lol.) im thinking of getting 4 danios. :) but then agian..i dont want them to hurt zipper :( my my..this choosing a roommate thing is difficult! Lol :)
Old 10-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #15 
Yaoilover12397

Thats too small. 10 gallon minium for Bettas + other fish. Its eight. Maybe you could do one ADF but that would be it.
Yaoilover12397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #16 
missm83

try the shrimp...my boy was ok with it for a month....then i found my shrimp dead..goodluck!lol
missm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #17 
doggyhog

I would personally try one or two ADFs. Especially if it's an eight gallon. It should work out fine. You just have to be prepared to make a little extra effort so the fish doesn't eat the frog food.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #18 
Thesharpestlives

Hm,if I get the Adf,i plan on getting some sinking pellets for them :) lol same with shrimp.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #19 
BettaMiah

Absolutely no Dainos. Those fin nip and need about 15 gallons, they are active. They also need a school of 6.

Get 2 AFDs. They would thrive in the 8 gallon. For a 5 gallon only one frog, but 2 would be great in 8+ a betta.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:57 PM   #20 
Gizmothefreaky

I recommend nothing smaller than a five gallon for a pair of frogs, and a ten gallon for a pair of frogs and a betta. Think of the bioload. And if your fish is very aggressive, think of the poor frogs toes. Be prepared to either rehome the frogs, get another tank for the fish, or divide the tank into a three gallon section for the fish, and a five gallon area for the frogs.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote