Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #1 
bllauben

Help! Fuzzy slime?

I just noticed a fuzy beige-ish slime covering the heater and the bubbler. I immediately removed all of the bamboo (noticed one of the bamboo was starting to show signs of rot) and pathos. Put them in a diluted mix of white vinegar and water (1/3 teaspoon of vinegar to 1 cup of water). I did a 100 percent tank change (3 gallon). I washed everything in a diluted vinegar water mix. Thoroughly rinsed everything. I did not put the plants back in. Instead, I put a mug in the tank so that Flash has something to hide in.

What do I do next? Any clue what the slime could be from? Could it be the bamboo? I've been changing the water every 2 days. Half changes. This is the third time in two weeks I've changed 100 percent (the first two times was because I was paranoid about cleaniness).

I am feeding 3 times a day. Blood worms, daphina and brine shrimp (he refuses pellets and flakes). I offer him a bite at a time via tweezers. If he grabs for it, I give it to him. If he does not, I take it out. Only a few pieces have fallen to the bottom after he spit them out (little brat!). On average, he will eat 2 bloodworms or three pieces of the other stuff at a time.

Temperature is about 76/78 degrees. I don't test the water yet.

He also seems to have a favorite rock that he rubs his nose on. Does it a few times a day. No signs of illness. Fins are in remarkable shape. Tons of energy. Eating well.

Sorry if it sounds like I am over reacting. Flash is my first fish. I want to make sure he's okay.

Thanks,
Beth
bllauben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:40 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like diatoms-brown algae and normal-especially in a new setup and along with the normal organics from the plants.....it shouldn't cause any problems for the Betta-it just looks ugly....
The diatoms should wipe off easy and you just vacuum them out with the regular water changes...

Good that you caught the rot early and removed the bamboo-usually it will be fine as long as most of the plant is out of the water..same with the Ivy....just the roots or stem end in the water....all leaves out of the water.

Any other live plants in the tank and how deep is the substrate...

Is the tank filtered?

In a 3gal unfiltered tank with a single Betta-water changes of twice weekly....1-50% and 1-100% should maintain water quality-provided that the Betta isn't overfed and uneaten food removed within a reasonable time.....

If the tank is filtered-twice weekly 50%...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip....Filter media needs a rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month.....

Once the tank start to mature some the diatom will resolve on their own as long as the light bulbs are not old (over 1yr) and you maintain a photoperiod of at least 8h/day.....

Can you post a pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #3 
bllauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
It sounds like diatoms-brown algae and normal-especially in a new setup and along with the normal organics from the plants.....it shouldn't cause any problems for the Betta-it just looks ugly....
The diatoms should wipe off easy and you just vacuum them out with the regular water changes...

Good that you caught the rot early and removed the bamboo-usually it will be fine as long as most of the plant is out of the water..same with the Ivy....just the roots or stem end in the water....all leaves out of the water.

Any other live plants in the tank and how deep is the substrate...

Is the tank filtered?

In a 3gal unfiltered tank with a single Betta-water changes of twice weekly....1-50% and 1-100% should maintain water quality-provided that the Betta isn't overfed and uneaten food removed within a reasonable time.....

If the tank is filtered-twice weekly 50%...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip....Filter media needs a rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month.....

Once the tank start to mature some the diatom will resolve on their own as long as the light bulbs are not old (over 1yr) and you maintain a photoperiod of at least 8h/day.....

Can you post a pic....
The 3 gallon vase is not filtered. Working on getting a 10 gallon tank soon that will have a filter. Been doing a 1/3 change every other day. I am using natural light right now. I should put the set up next to a light until I get a 10 gallon tank (next pay day, hopefully).

Glad that the slime is not something more serious like I thought it was. ((Breathes deeply)). It's nasty though...

The substrate is river rock and is about an inch and a half thick. No other plants right now. Once I get a 10 gallon tank, I am going to get aquatic plants. For now, I'll leave them be. Flash seems happier without them in there

Thank you.

--Beth
bllauben is offline   Reply With Quote